Gold Prices Near $1,400 Following Weak US Home Sales Data
By m rochan | August 24, 2013 8:49 PM EST
Spot gold hovered around $1,396.56 (£896.78, €1043.69) an ounce at 2:15 pm on 23 August, and gained 1.6% in the week ending 24 August. It struck a two-and-half-month high of $1,398.20 in intra-day trading.
US gold futures for December delivery settled at $1,395.80 an ounce, preliminary Reuters data showed.
US economic data showed that Americans bought fewer homes in July compared to June. Sales of newly built homes dropped 13.4% to 394,000 units, compared with 455,000 units in June. The July figure is the lowest for nine months.
Axel Merk, portfolio manager of Merk Funds told Reuters: "The fear is clearly that higher interest rates (are) going to topple (the) housing recovery, which means the Fed has to ease and not tighten." Merk Funds holds close to $500m in currency mutual-fund assets. The Fed's FOMC is due to meet on 17 September, 29 October and 17 December.
India's Jewellery Exports Plunge
Meanwhile, exports of gold jewellery from India, the leading buyer of the precious metal, dropped 70% in July owing to a shortage of raw material.
Gold jewellery exports dropped to $441.4m (£283.4, €329.8) in July from $1.5bn (£963m, €1.1bn) a year ago, according to India's Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC).
India has imposed restrictions on gold imports and hiked the duty on gold three times this year to narrow its widening trade deficit.
Gold prices ended higher last week. The yellow metal's allure as an investment hedge increased after downbeat US economic data poured cold water on hopes of a quick economic recovery.
Economic data from the US showed that consumer confidence dropped in August and that retail sales growth remained unchanged from July. In addition, US residential construction growth missed expectations in July.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet