Gold Prices Near $1,400 Following Weak US Home Sales Data
By m rochan | August 24, 2013 8:49 PM EST
Spot gold hovered around $1,396.56 (£896.78, €1043.69) an ounce at 2:15 pm on 23 August, and gained 1.6% in the week ending 24 August. It struck a two-and-half-month high of $1,398.20 in intra-day trading.
US gold futures for December delivery settled at $1,395.80 an ounce, preliminary Reuters data showed.
US economic data showed that Americans bought fewer homes in July compared to June. Sales of newly built homes dropped 13.4% to 394,000 units, compared with 455,000 units in June. The July figure is the lowest for nine months.
Axel Merk, portfolio manager of Merk Funds told Reuters: "The fear is clearly that higher interest rates (are) going to topple (the) housing recovery, which means the Fed has to ease and not tighten." Merk Funds holds close to $500m in currency mutual-fund assets. The Fed's FOMC is due to meet on 17 September, 29 October and 17 December.
India's Jewellery Exports Plunge
Meanwhile, exports of gold jewellery from India, the leading buyer of the precious metal, dropped 70% in July owing to a shortage of raw material.
Gold jewellery exports dropped to $441.4m (£283.4, €329.8) in July from $1.5bn (£963m, €1.1bn) a year ago, according to India's Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC).
India has imposed restrictions on gold imports and hiked the duty on gold three times this year to narrow its widening trade deficit.
Gold prices ended higher last week. The yellow metal's allure as an investment hedge increased after downbeat US economic data poured cold water on hopes of a quick economic recovery.
Economic data from the US showed that consumer confidence dropped in August and that retail sales growth remained unchanged from July. In addition, US residential construction growth missed expectations in July.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change