Gold Prices Near $1,400 Following Weak US Home Sales Data
By m rochan | August 24, 2013 8:49 PM EST
Spot gold hovered around $1,396.56 (£896.78, €1043.69) an ounce at 2:15 pm on 23 August, and gained 1.6% in the week ending 24 August. It struck a two-and-half-month high of $1,398.20 in intra-day trading.
US gold futures for December delivery settled at $1,395.80 an ounce, preliminary Reuters data showed.
US economic data showed that Americans bought fewer homes in July compared to June. Sales of newly built homes dropped 13.4% to 394,000 units, compared with 455,000 units in June. The July figure is the lowest for nine months.
Axel Merk, portfolio manager of Merk Funds told Reuters: "The fear is clearly that higher interest rates (are) going to topple (the) housing recovery, which means the Fed has to ease and not tighten." Merk Funds holds close to $500m in currency mutual-fund assets. The Fed's FOMC is due to meet on 17 September, 29 October and 17 December.
India's Jewellery Exports Plunge
Meanwhile, exports of gold jewellery from India, the leading buyer of the precious metal, dropped 70% in July owing to a shortage of raw material.
Gold jewellery exports dropped to $441.4m (£283.4, €329.8) in July from $1.5bn (£963m, €1.1bn) a year ago, according to India's Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC).
India has imposed restrictions on gold imports and hiked the duty on gold three times this year to narrow its widening trade deficit.
Gold prices ended higher last week. The yellow metal's allure as an investment hedge increased after downbeat US economic data poured cold water on hopes of a quick economic recovery.
Economic data from the US showed that consumer confidence dropped in August and that retail sales growth remained unchanged from July. In addition, US residential construction growth missed expectations in July.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown