German Jana Lutteropp Dies After Shark Bites Off Arm in Hawaii
By Ewan Palmer | August 22, 2013 6:55 PM EST
A German woman who had her arm bitten off by a shark in Hawaii has died a week later from her injuries.
Jana Lutteropp, 20, had her right arm bitten off while snorkelling off Palauea Beach in Makena, Maui County. She spent a week in critical condition at Maui Memorial Medical Center before dying as a result of her injuries.
Her family said Lutteropp had "fought hard to stay alive" before confirming she had died in a statement.
Her mother Jutta Lutteropp and sister Julia Broeske added: "Jana was a very beautiful, strong, young woman who was always laughing, and we will forever remember her that way."
Lutteropp was originally pulled from the water following the shark attack by a high school teacher who heard her screams. Rick Moore, 57, said Lutteropp went in and out of consciousness and kept repeating that she was going to die.
It is not known what type of shark had bitten her.
Lutteropp had travelled to Hawaii after finishing her year as an au pair, according to Cultural Care Au Pair, the agency she'd worked with.
The agency offered their condolences to Lutteropp, saying: "We are deeply saddened at the news that a Cultural Care au pair travelling after completing her year was gravely injured in a shark attack in Hawaii. Despite the best efforts of medical teams, Jana of Germany passed away from her injuries today surrounded by her family. Please join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers."
William Aila, head of the State Department of Land and Natural Resources, the agency responsible for Hawaii's waters, also extended his sympathy to her family and friends.
He said: "As an island state, we are aware that we are all visitors in the natural environment that surrounds us, and that unfortunate incidents such as this one can occur. We are committed to furthering research efforts that will help guide effective management actions in the interest of safety."
The attack on Lutteropp was the eighth shark attack in Hawaiian waters this year and tenth in 2012. The US state usually sees only three to four attacks each year.
The family asked that donations in her memory be made to the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal