German Jana Lutteropp Dies After Shark Bites Off Arm in Hawaii
By Ewan Palmer | August 22, 2013 6:55 PM EST
A German woman who had her arm bitten off by a shark in Hawaii has died a week later from her injuries.
Jana Lutteropp, 20, had her right arm bitten off while snorkelling off Palauea Beach in Makena, Maui County. She spent a week in critical condition at Maui Memorial Medical Center before dying as a result of her injuries.
Her family said Lutteropp had "fought hard to stay alive" before confirming she had died in a statement.
Her mother Jutta Lutteropp and sister Julia Broeske added: "Jana was a very beautiful, strong, young woman who was always laughing, and we will forever remember her that way."
Lutteropp was originally pulled from the water following the shark attack by a high school teacher who heard her screams. Rick Moore, 57, said Lutteropp went in and out of consciousness and kept repeating that she was going to die.
It is not known what type of shark had bitten her.
Lutteropp had travelled to Hawaii after finishing her year as an au pair, according to Cultural Care Au Pair, the agency she'd worked with.
The agency offered their condolences to Lutteropp, saying: "We are deeply saddened at the news that a Cultural Care au pair travelling after completing her year was gravely injured in a shark attack in Hawaii. Despite the best efforts of medical teams, Jana of Germany passed away from her injuries today surrounded by her family. Please join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers."
William Aila, head of the State Department of Land and Natural Resources, the agency responsible for Hawaii's waters, also extended his sympathy to her family and friends.
He said: "As an island state, we are aware that we are all visitors in the natural environment that surrounds us, and that unfortunate incidents such as this one can occur. We are committed to furthering research efforts that will help guide effective management actions in the interest of safety."
The attack on Lutteropp was the eighth shark attack in Hawaiian waters this year and tenth in 2012. The US state usually sees only three to four attacks each year.
The family asked that donations in her memory be made to the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June