Derek Fisher Replaced by Chris Paul as the New President of NBA Players Union
By Annie Dee | August 22, 2013 6:18 PM EST
Chris Paul has been named the president of NBA Players Union.
Derek Fisher is to be replaced by Chris Paul as the president of NBA Players Union. The union has been embittered with turmoil recently, so this added star power at the top is much needed.
Derek Fisher is voted by NBA player representatives six months after the union removed Billy Hunter as executive director following more than a year and half of bickering and drama during the negotiations for the latest collective bargaining arrangement. Hunter countered with a wrongful-termination lawsuit in May and claimed that Fisher had conspired with NBA officials during the 2011 lockout. As of now, the position is still vacant.
With Paul replacing Derek Fisher, Paul asserted that "It's not about me as president or the first vice president, it's about the players as a whole." Paul may be a good fit and an asset because of his ability to get everyone involved and make his teammates feel good with themselves. This ability can improve the union. After the lockout ended and the lawsuits started to take hold, many players and observers came to feel and perceive that putting a big name in the big chair would help galvanise the group and motivate the star players to start participating again.
Paul, who is a six-time All-Star and considered the best point guard in the league, is the first big star to acquire this top position since Patrick Ewing's term ended in 2001. This is a big thing, although not mandated. "That wasn't a requirement, but I think it gives us a little more oomph, I guess, having somebody like him wanting to step up and take on that role," Charlotte Bobcats told Anthony Tolliver in a phone interview. "It means a lot."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS