Derek Fisher Replaced by Chris Paul as the New President of NBA Players Union
By Annie Dee | August 22, 2013 6:18 PM EST
Chris Paul has been named the president of NBA Players Union.
Derek Fisher is to be replaced by Chris Paul as the president of NBA Players Union. The union has been embittered with turmoil recently, so this added star power at the top is much needed.
Derek Fisher is voted by NBA player representatives six months after the union removed Billy Hunter as executive director following more than a year and half of bickering and drama during the negotiations for the latest collective bargaining arrangement. Hunter countered with a wrongful-termination lawsuit in May and claimed that Fisher had conspired with NBA officials during the 2011 lockout. As of now, the position is still vacant.
With Paul replacing Derek Fisher, Paul asserted that "It's not about me as president or the first vice president, it's about the players as a whole." Paul may be a good fit and an asset because of his ability to get everyone involved and make his teammates feel good with themselves. This ability can improve the union. After the lockout ended and the lawsuits started to take hold, many players and observers came to feel and perceive that putting a big name in the big chair would help galvanise the group and motivate the star players to start participating again.
Paul, who is a six-time All-Star and considered the best point guard in the league, is the first big star to acquire this top position since Patrick Ewing's term ended in 2001. This is a big thing, although not mandated. "That wasn't a requirement, but I think it gives us a little more oomph, I guess, having somebody like him wanting to step up and take on that role," Charlotte Bobcats told Anthony Tolliver in a phone interview. "It means a lot."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga