Upgrade Your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 Hercules to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | August 22, 2013 5:12 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules or T989 for T-Mobile was released in October 2011 which runs Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and later upgradable with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Samsung hasn't confirmed the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for Hercules but CyanogenMod 10.2 provides Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
CyanogenMod 10.2 for T-Mobile Galaxy S2 Hercules
Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules can get the latest Android features of 4.3 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10.2 custom firmware such as:
- Bluetooth Smart
- Permission Manager
- Virtual Surround Sound
- Improved dial pad
- Restricted profiles
- Theme engine
- TRIM feature
- Google Now
- Project Butter
Warning: This is a custom ROM which can damage your device. Developers and sources are not liable for any damages which may happen on your smartphone. Read and follow the instructions carefully to any damages or errors to occur on your Galaxy S2 Hercules. Do this at your own risk.
- Create a backup of all your personal information settings and data files on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules T989.
- Do not flash this to other variants of Galaxy S2 or suffer consequences.
- Check the battery level and it must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
- Install the necessary USB drivers for your Galaxy S2 Hercules on your computer. Download the drivers here.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging."
- Install a ClockworkMod recovery on the Galaxy S2 Hercules and make sure that the device is already rooted.
1. Connect your Galaxy S2 Hercules to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy then paste the CyanogenMod 10.2 Android 4.3 ROM and the Google Apps package to the SD card of your Galaxy S2 Hercules. Never extract any of the zip files.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from your computer and turn it off.
4. Reboot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up, power and home keys together then release all buttons once the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." You can restore the saved ROM anytime by rebooting into recovery mode and selecting "backup and restore > restore."
6. Perform a full wipe on your handset. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then go back to the main menu then select "advance > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Go back to the main menu then select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card." Choose the CM10.2 Android 4.3 custom ROM you have copied earlier then confirm installation. Apply the same method with the Google Apps package.
9. After the installation, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
10. The boot may take at least 5 minutes before reaching the home screen due to the "first time" running the ROM.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S2 Hercules is now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and special customisation of CyanogenMod 10.2 custom ROM.
For any questions, comments or upgrade from earlier CyanogenMod custom ROM, check out Galaxy S2 Hercules XDA developers official thread for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers