Upgrade Your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 Hercules to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | August 22, 2013 5:12 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules or T989 for T-Mobile was released in October 2011 which runs Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and later upgradable with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Samsung hasn't confirmed the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for Hercules but CyanogenMod 10.2 provides Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
CyanogenMod 10.2 for T-Mobile Galaxy S2 Hercules
Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules can get the latest Android features of 4.3 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10.2 custom firmware such as:
- Bluetooth Smart
- Permission Manager
- Virtual Surround Sound
- Improved dial pad
- Restricted profiles
- Theme engine
- TRIM feature
- Google Now
- Project Butter
Warning: This is a custom ROM which can damage your device. Developers and sources are not liable for any damages which may happen on your smartphone. Read and follow the instructions carefully to any damages or errors to occur on your Galaxy S2 Hercules. Do this at your own risk.
- Create a backup of all your personal information settings and data files on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules T989.
- Do not flash this to other variants of Galaxy S2 or suffer consequences.
- Check the battery level and it must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
- Install the necessary USB drivers for your Galaxy S2 Hercules on your computer. Download the drivers here.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging."
- Install a ClockworkMod recovery on the Galaxy S2 Hercules and make sure that the device is already rooted.
1. Connect your Galaxy S2 Hercules to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy then paste the CyanogenMod 10.2 Android 4.3 ROM and the Google Apps package to the SD card of your Galaxy S2 Hercules. Never extract any of the zip files.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from your computer and turn it off.
4. Reboot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up, power and home keys together then release all buttons once the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." You can restore the saved ROM anytime by rebooting into recovery mode and selecting "backup and restore > restore."
6. Perform a full wipe on your handset. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then go back to the main menu then select "advance > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Go back to the main menu then select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card." Choose the CM10.2 Android 4.3 custom ROM you have copied earlier then confirm installation. Apply the same method with the Google Apps package.
9. After the installation, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
10. The boot may take at least 5 minutes before reaching the home screen due to the "first time" running the ROM.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S2 Hercules is now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and special customisation of CyanogenMod 10.2 custom ROM.
For any questions, comments or upgrade from earlier CyanogenMod custom ROM, check out Galaxy S2 Hercules XDA developers official thread for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Uncertain About Return: If They Do It Will Be ‘With a bang’ Reveals TPB Crew Member
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For Google Play Edition Devices: Features, Models And Other Details
- Sway: Microsoft Reveals Its Own Powerpoint Killer
- Nokia Lumia 635: Sprint, Boost Mobile And Virgin Mobile Set To Sell Windows Phone Handset
- Naruto Debuts on Next-Gen Consoles With ‘Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4’