Christopher Lane Murder Update: Killed By 3 Bored Teens And Other Facts To Know
By Christine Lazaro | August 22, 2013 3:44 PM EST
Australian baseball player Christopher Lane was only 22 when he was gunned down on Aug 16 right outside Oklahoma City. Also known by the nickname Chris, he was a star athlete in a U.S.-based college ball team and looks forward to starting a promising career ahead.
The cause of his death shocked the entire online world when three young teenagers emerged as suspects who allegedly killed the athlete just for the mere fun of it.
As a follow up update on the Chris Lane Murder case, here are more facts discovered along the way:
Mr Lane was just jogging on Country Club Road in Duncan, Oklahoma, and was suddenly found lying faced down with a revolver bullet right around the lower part of his back. Reports said that he passed away an hour after he was rushed to the nearest local hospital. But according to a local resident, they tried to apply CPR on the victim and yet Mr Lane passed away right there on the street.
The suspected three teenagers were named as Michael Jones, 17; Chancey Luna, 16; and James Edwards, 15. According to an Associated Press tweet, Luna and Edwards are charged with murder at first degree while Jones is deemed as an accessory to the crime. According to the 17-year-old suspect, they were just bored and so "decided to kill somebody." In a Vine video, Edwards was seen playing with the camera as he flaunts a giant rifle. Edwards was also discovered to have posted racist tweets against white people on April 29 before the shooting happened.
In Jones' statement, he said that they followed the jogger as they rode a car and it was Luna who shot the athlete right in the back before they all drove off. In yet another Vine video, some of their actions and gestures suggest their possible affiliation with the popular Crip street gang.
Chris Lane was in Oklahoma to visit his long-time girlfriend, Sarah Harper, whom he was dating for four years. The Aussie athlete is under a baseball scholarship in East Central University. He had an impressive betting average of .250.
The young athlete's father made a touching speech on Saturday, highlighting his son's love for his girlfriend, politics and baseball. The young victim had plans of settling in the U.S. to pursue a career in the real estate industry.
In line with this case, the former deputy prime minister of Australia, Tim Fischer, made criticisms on the National Rifle Association and even requested Aussies to think twice before going to the U.S. This is their way of putting pressure on Congress to make further action plan on gun control.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones