Samsung Galaxy S4: Top 5 Hot Fixes on Commonly Encountered Problems in Overheating, No Signal, Lags and Freezes
By Ryan Inoyori | August 22, 2013 3:36 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S4 is the 2013 "life companion" flagship Android smartphone from the South Korean tech giant which features top-of-the-line software and hardware technology. However, some owners of Galaxy S4 reported issues on the camera, heat and others plaguing the device. Check out the hot five fixes for the commonly encountered problems of the Galaxy S4.
The Overheating Issue
Overheating is one of the greatest issues considered to be dangerous among smartphones. It can cause explosion and injure the owner if overheating persists, and the Galaxy S4 is simply one among devices reported to be suffering from it.
The XXUAMDE firmware of the Galaxy S4 I9500 suffers intense heating problem whenever being charged or under continuous use. Symptoms include red screen tint, too hot for comfortable use and occasional lags.
As a first aid, the device must be immediately turned off and placed it in well-ventilated area to cool it down. If possible, remove the back cover the let heat escape from the device. Once it has already cooled off, check a software update via Over-the-Air in "Settings > About phone > Software update" or via Samsung Kies PC suite to get the latest firmware fixing overheating issue.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 camera boasts great capture and is packed with all-new features, but there are units reported to be suffering from fringing or blurry captures. Mostly, it is caused by the protective plastic that was placed on the camera lens, and removing it can improve the camera problem. If the issue persists, check for an update from Samsung Kies or via OTA which will include major bug fixes. In case nothing of these methods solve it, go to your retailers or service centre to check if the hardware has something to do with it.
Occasional Lags and Freezes
The Galaxy S4 is not perfect, and occasional lags or freezes may happen at times. TouchWiz and other bloatware from Samsung can cause such problem and inconvenience which can be fixed by doing the following:
- Disabling some Samsung applications or the TouchWiz itself may fix the lags. Go to "Settings > More > Applications Manager > All > Select the app > Disable."
- Clearing the cache memory frees RAM and removes temporary files which you get from browsing the Internet or launching applications. Go to "Settings > Application Manager > All > Select app > Clear cache." Normally, personal settings and data files are not removed using this procedure.
- Restart the phone regularly to refresh applications, memory and performance. If computers require restart, your Galaxy S4 needs it sometimes, too.
Keyboard and Auto-correction
Some users prefer auto-correction when typing and Samsung removed the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean keyboard from Galaxy S4. If your TouchWiz keys are not functioning well with auto-correction, you download and install third-party applications such as Go Keyboard or Swift to solve this issue. Do not forget to check for updates which may include bug fixes on the keyboard functionality.
Signal and Reception
Getting coverage and signal is a terrible kind of crisis on phones, and if the Galaxy S4 you own has this, prepare to do some troubleshooting.
- Check the Airplane mode and make sure it is not active as it denies any coverage from any network. Hold and press the Power button to check if the Airplane mode is off; if not, tap to do so.
- Check the network coverage in the area. Thick and multiple walls can block network coverage no matter how powerful your smartphone is. Another thing is to make sure that there is no technical issue from the network covering the location where you are. One way to solve this is turn off the device for 1 minute, remove the SIM card and battery, if possible, and re-insert them back before starting the device.
- Finally, go to a service centre or have a technician diagnose the phone which may be interrupted due to hardware issues. Damaged internal antennae will subdue the network coverage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft