“I’m a Gay Man” Prison Break Wentworth Miller Comes Out, Declines Russian Film Festival; Dates Luke MacFarlane
By Athena Yenko | August 22, 2013 1:19 PM EST
Prison Break Wentworth Miller made a respectable and downplayed coming out as a gay man in his letter to Maria Averbakh, Festival Director of St. Petersburg International Film Festival, humbly declining his attendance to the said festival.
Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is Russia's very first competitive feature film festival being held since 2012. The festival aimed to increase cultural exchange, international communication and cooperation between filmmakers of different nations.
The festival features film of mainstream cinema, of which the choices were limited to those films already awarded as people's choice at major film festivals. It highlights films from renowned filmmakers and at the same time introduced promising directors and artists whose works deserve to be known in the industry.
The festival aimed to recognise films which reflect and carry the characteristics of world-class cinema.
The Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is a prestigious award giving body in the making, "However, as a gay man, I must decline," wrote Wentworth.
Wentworth remarkably took a stand against the Russian homophobic laws and hinted that if the country improved its view on homosexuality, maybe by then he will be free to visit the country.
While some Prison Break fans were shocked about this, Wentworth should be commended that he chose to come out in a time when he needed to make a stand rather a controversy to drive media attention.
Since 2007, Wentworth had been denying rumours that he prefers men over women. He had since been linked to actor Luke MacFarlane as they were seen always happy being together. Although there were no recent reports confirming the relationship status between the two actors, Luke's name was already being associated with Wentworth's recent coming out.
In a 2007 interview with German In Style magazine, Wentworth decided to keep mum about his gender.
"I'm not gay, but that rumour can't be killed. I'd like to have a girlfriend and a family. But I haven't met the right one yet. Until then I'm focusing on my job. I had to wait so long for this chance I savor every second on set even if it means 14 hours of shooting a day," Wentworth said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2