“I’m a Gay Man” Prison Break Wentworth Miller Comes Out, Declines Russian Film Festival; Dates Luke MacFarlane
By Athena Yenko | August 22, 2013 1:19 PM EST
Prison Break Wentworth Miller made a respectable and downplayed coming out as a gay man in his letter to Maria Averbakh, Festival Director of St. Petersburg International Film Festival, humbly declining his attendance to the said festival.
Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is Russia's very first competitive feature film festival being held since 2012. The festival aimed to increase cultural exchange, international communication and cooperation between filmmakers of different nations.
The festival features film of mainstream cinema, of which the choices were limited to those films already awarded as people's choice at major film festivals. It highlights films from renowned filmmakers and at the same time introduced promising directors and artists whose works deserve to be known in the industry.
The festival aimed to recognise films which reflect and carry the characteristics of world-class cinema.
The Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is a prestigious award giving body in the making, "However, as a gay man, I must decline," wrote Wentworth.
Wentworth remarkably took a stand against the Russian homophobic laws and hinted that if the country improved its view on homosexuality, maybe by then he will be free to visit the country.
While some Prison Break fans were shocked about this, Wentworth should be commended that he chose to come out in a time when he needed to make a stand rather a controversy to drive media attention.
Since 2007, Wentworth had been denying rumours that he prefers men over women. He had since been linked to actor Luke MacFarlane as they were seen always happy being together. Although there were no recent reports confirming the relationship status between the two actors, Luke's name was already being associated with Wentworth's recent coming out.
In a 2007 interview with German In Style magazine, Wentworth decided to keep mum about his gender.
"I'm not gay, but that rumour can't be killed. I'd like to have a girlfriend and a family. But I haven't met the right one yet. Until then I'm focusing on my job. I had to wait so long for this chance I savor every second on set even if it means 14 hours of shooting a day," Wentworth said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers