“I’m a Gay Man” Prison Break Wentworth Miller Comes Out, Declines Russian Film Festival; Dates Luke MacFarlane
By Athena Yenko | August 22, 2013 1:19 PM EST
Prison Break Wentworth Miller made a respectable and downplayed coming out as a gay man in his letter to Maria Averbakh, Festival Director of St. Petersburg International Film Festival, humbly declining his attendance to the said festival.
Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is Russia's very first competitive feature film festival being held since 2012. The festival aimed to increase cultural exchange, international communication and cooperation between filmmakers of different nations.
The festival features film of mainstream cinema, of which the choices were limited to those films already awarded as people's choice at major film festivals. It highlights films from renowned filmmakers and at the same time introduced promising directors and artists whose works deserve to be known in the industry.
The festival aimed to recognise films which reflect and carry the characteristics of world-class cinema.
The Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is a prestigious award giving body in the making, "However, as a gay man, I must decline," wrote Wentworth.
Wentworth remarkably took a stand against the Russian homophobic laws and hinted that if the country improved its view on homosexuality, maybe by then he will be free to visit the country.
While some Prison Break fans were shocked about this, Wentworth should be commended that he chose to come out in a time when he needed to make a stand rather a controversy to drive media attention.
Since 2007, Wentworth had been denying rumours that he prefers men over women. He had since been linked to actor Luke MacFarlane as they were seen always happy being together. Although there were no recent reports confirming the relationship status between the two actors, Luke's name was already being associated with Wentworth's recent coming out.
In a 2007 interview with German In Style magazine, Wentworth decided to keep mum about his gender.
"I'm not gay, but that rumour can't be killed. I'd like to have a girlfriend and a family. But I haven't met the right one yet. Until then I'm focusing on my job. I had to wait so long for this chance I savor every second on set even if it means 14 hours of shooting a day," Wentworth said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Ian Somerhalder: 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Hints CW TV Series Could End With Season 6, Shares Latest Project on Instagram
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements