“I’m a Gay Man” Prison Break Wentworth Miller Comes Out, Declines Russian Film Festival; Dates Luke MacFarlane
By Athena Yenko | August 22, 2013 1:19 PM EST
Prison Break Wentworth Miller made a respectable and downplayed coming out as a gay man in his letter to Maria Averbakh, Festival Director of St. Petersburg International Film Festival, humbly declining his attendance to the said festival.
Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is Russia's very first competitive feature film festival being held since 2012. The festival aimed to increase cultural exchange, international communication and cooperation between filmmakers of different nations.
The festival features film of mainstream cinema, of which the choices were limited to those films already awarded as people's choice at major film festivals. It highlights films from renowned filmmakers and at the same time introduced promising directors and artists whose works deserve to be known in the industry.
The festival aimed to recognise films which reflect and carry the characteristics of world-class cinema.
The Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is a prestigious award giving body in the making, "However, as a gay man, I must decline," wrote Wentworth.
Wentworth remarkably took a stand against the Russian homophobic laws and hinted that if the country improved its view on homosexuality, maybe by then he will be free to visit the country.
While some Prison Break fans were shocked about this, Wentworth should be commended that he chose to come out in a time when he needed to make a stand rather a controversy to drive media attention.
Since 2007, Wentworth had been denying rumours that he prefers men over women. He had since been linked to actor Luke MacFarlane as they were seen always happy being together. Although there were no recent reports confirming the relationship status between the two actors, Luke's name was already being associated with Wentworth's recent coming out.
In a 2007 interview with German In Style magazine, Wentworth decided to keep mum about his gender.
"I'm not gay, but that rumour can't be killed. I'd like to have a girlfriend and a family. But I haven't met the right one yet. Until then I'm focusing on my job. I had to wait so long for this chance I savor every second on set even if it means 14 hours of shooting a day," Wentworth said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid