“I’m a Gay Man” Prison Break Wentworth Miller Comes Out, Declines Russian Film Festival; Dates Luke MacFarlane
By Athena Yenko | August 22, 2013 1:19 PM EST
Prison Break Wentworth Miller made a respectable and downplayed coming out as a gay man in his letter to Maria Averbakh, Festival Director of St. Petersburg International Film Festival, humbly declining his attendance to the said festival.
Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is Russia's very first competitive feature film festival being held since 2012. The festival aimed to increase cultural exchange, international communication and cooperation between filmmakers of different nations.
The festival features film of mainstream cinema, of which the choices were limited to those films already awarded as people's choice at major film festivals. It highlights films from renowned filmmakers and at the same time introduced promising directors and artists whose works deserve to be known in the industry.
The festival aimed to recognise films which reflect and carry the characteristics of world-class cinema.
The Saint Petersburg International Film Festival is a prestigious award giving body in the making, "However, as a gay man, I must decline," wrote Wentworth.
Wentworth remarkably took a stand against the Russian homophobic laws and hinted that if the country improved its view on homosexuality, maybe by then he will be free to visit the country.
While some Prison Break fans were shocked about this, Wentworth should be commended that he chose to come out in a time when he needed to make a stand rather a controversy to drive media attention.
Since 2007, Wentworth had been denying rumours that he prefers men over women. He had since been linked to actor Luke MacFarlane as they were seen always happy being together. Although there were no recent reports confirming the relationship status between the two actors, Luke's name was already being associated with Wentworth's recent coming out.
In a 2007 interview with German In Style magazine, Wentworth decided to keep mum about his gender.
"I'm not gay, but that rumour can't be killed. I'd like to have a girlfriend and a family. But I haven't met the right one yet. Until then I'm focusing on my job. I had to wait so long for this chance I savor every second on set even if it means 14 hours of shooting a day," Wentworth said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia