New Zealander Abducted and Tortured in China for Five Days
By Reissa Su | August 21, 2013 1:13 PM EST
A New Zealand citizen was reportedly abducted and tortured for five days in July 2013 after he travelled to China to check on his elderly parents. Nick Wang, 52-year old Chinese native and a former Chinese newspaper editor in New Zealand, has apparently displeased the Chinese Embassy since his media reports were about Chinese authorities.
Mr Wang has not seen his 85-year-old mother and 88-year-old father in China for several years and he wanted to see them again. He said he had spent at least a decade just to apply for a Chinese visa but all his applications were always rejected. Mr Wang has submitted 18 applications in 10 years.
In a desperate move to visit his parents in China, he changed his name to Whakakingi Danzangiin Gonpo and applied for a Chinese visa under that fake name. However, the Chinese embassy still rejected his application despite the name change.
As a last resort, Mr Wang decided to enter China illegally by passing through Mongolia. He was able to cross China's border and successfully reached the home of his parents in Hohhot. After spending three days in China, he was arrested by Chinese authorities on July 10.
Mr Wang's captors brought him to a detention where he was handcuffed. The Chinese authorities interrogated him for five days. Mr Wang said his captors did not allow him to sleep or use the bathroom to attend to his personal needs.
New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Kiwi embassy in Beijing had been informed about the arrest. This is required action when a New Zealander is being detained in China. The New Zealand embassy in China organised a consular visit to check on Mr Wang's well-being in Hohhot and provide assistance.
The embassy official said if Mr Wang will file a formal complaint, the New Zealand embassy can assist him to pursue this course of action.
On July 15, Mr Wang was sent back to New Zealand. He has since decided to seek advice and consult with a human rights organisation before filing a formal complaint against Chinese authorities.
When Mr Wang was still active in the Chinese newspaper in New Zealand, the Chinese Embassy was upset of his coverage on topics like the massacre in Tiananmen Square and the imprisonment of a Chinese democracy advocate.
To contact the editor, e-mail: