Hungary Plans to Buy Back Ailing Steelmaker Dunaferr in Job Rescue Scheme
By m rochan | August 21, 2013 12:49 AM EST
Hungary's government will attempt to buy back steelmaker Dunaferr from Ukraine's ISD group to prevent employee layoffs at the loss-making Hungarian firm.
Budapest has offered to initiate talks to buy out the troubled firm, economy minister Mihaly Varga said. He refused to put a figure on the buyout.
Dunaferr plans to layoff 1,500 workers but a takeover would protect the jobs of the 7,500 steelworkers in the long term, Varga said on national television after a cabinet meeting.
He said the buyout would "reverse the bad privatisation" of Dunaferr in 2004.
Dunaferr swung into the red after the 2008 global economic crisis.
Hungarian national news agency MTI quoted a Dunaferr official as saying that the company has incurred losses of about 50bn forints (£142m , €166m , $222.25m) over the past two years.
Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government, which is seeking re-election in 2014, wants to regain control over industries it deems strategically important. State-owned development bank MFB is negotiating with Germany's DZ Bank to acquire the latter's 37% stake in Takarekbank, a Hungarian savings cooperative.
Hungary has repurchased the local natural gas business of German utility firm E.On and has acquired a controlling stake in motor parts maker Raba. The government has also raised its stake in oil company MOL.
The Orban government recently cut electricity and gas tariffs in a move expected to hit utility firms in Hungary in the long run.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border