Costa Rica Copycat Murder: Man Kills Girlfriend and Sends Photo on WhatsApp
By Hannah Osborne | August 20, 2013 10:24 PM EST
A suspect in Costa Rica has been arrested for killing his girlfriend and sending the photo of her body via the free messaging application WhatsApp.
The 29-year-old, known only by his surname Macotelo, was accused of strangling his girlfriend, taking her picture and sending it to her sister.
Melissa Zuniga, 27, was believed to have been killed at the home she shared with Macoleto in Huacas. The pair had been in a relationship for 18 months.
Joel Barrantes, of the Judicial Investigation Organisation, said that Macotelo had confessed to the crime through WhatsApp.
In the message, Macotelo told the sister that Zuniga was dead and apologised for what he had done.
The accompanying picture showed Zuniga lying on the bed, face up. When police arrived at the scene, the confirmed she had died.
In a separate message, Macotelo informed Zuniga's family of his whereabouts and police arrested him.
The victim's father, Elpidio Ortega, told Costa Rican news website La Nacion that he was not aware that the couple had any problems.
Medina shot her dead earlier after she told him she was planning to leave him during a heated argument.
Accompanying the Facebook picture, Medina wrote: "I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports