Costa Rica Copycat Murder: Man Kills Girlfriend and Sends Photo on WhatsApp
By Hannah Osborne | August 20, 2013 10:24 PM EST
A suspect in Costa Rica has been arrested for killing his girlfriend and sending the photo of her body via the free messaging application WhatsApp.
The 29-year-old, known only by his surname Macotelo, was accused of strangling his girlfriend, taking her picture and sending it to her sister.
Melissa Zuniga, 27, was believed to have been killed at the home she shared with Macoleto in Huacas. The pair had been in a relationship for 18 months.
Joel Barrantes, of the Judicial Investigation Organisation, said that Macotelo had confessed to the crime through WhatsApp.
In the message, Macotelo told the sister that Zuniga was dead and apologised for what he had done.
The accompanying picture showed Zuniga lying on the bed, face up. When police arrived at the scene, the confirmed she had died.
In a separate message, Macotelo informed Zuniga's family of his whereabouts and police arrested him.
The victim's father, Elpidio Ortega, told Costa Rican news website La Nacion that he was not aware that the couple had any problems.
Medina shot her dead earlier after she told him she was planning to leave him during a heated argument.
Accompanying the Facebook picture, Medina wrote: "I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS