Costa Rica Copycat Murder: Man Kills Girlfriend and Sends Photo on WhatsApp
By Hannah Osborne | August 20, 2013 10:24 PM EST
A suspect in Costa Rica has been arrested for killing his girlfriend and sending the photo of her body via the free messaging application WhatsApp.
The 29-year-old, known only by his surname Macotelo, was accused of strangling his girlfriend, taking her picture and sending it to her sister.
Melissa Zuniga, 27, was believed to have been killed at the home she shared with Macoleto in Huacas. The pair had been in a relationship for 18 months.
Joel Barrantes, of the Judicial Investigation Organisation, said that Macotelo had confessed to the crime through WhatsApp.
In the message, Macotelo told the sister that Zuniga was dead and apologised for what he had done.
The accompanying picture showed Zuniga lying on the bed, face up. When police arrived at the scene, the confirmed she had died.
In a separate message, Macotelo informed Zuniga's family of his whereabouts and police arrested him.
The victim's father, Elpidio Ortega, told Costa Rican news website La Nacion that he was not aware that the couple had any problems.
Medina shot her dead earlier after she told him she was planning to leave him during a heated argument.
Accompanying the Facebook picture, Medina wrote: "I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display