Costa Rica Copycat Murder: Man Kills Girlfriend and Sends Photo on WhatsApp
By Hannah Osborne | August 20, 2013 10:24 PM EST
A suspect in Costa Rica has been arrested for killing his girlfriend and sending the photo of her body via the free messaging application WhatsApp.
The 29-year-old, known only by his surname Macotelo, was accused of strangling his girlfriend, taking her picture and sending it to her sister.
Melissa Zuniga, 27, was believed to have been killed at the home she shared with Macoleto in Huacas. The pair had been in a relationship for 18 months.
Joel Barrantes, of the Judicial Investigation Organisation, said that Macotelo had confessed to the crime through WhatsApp.
In the message, Macotelo told the sister that Zuniga was dead and apologised for what he had done.
The accompanying picture showed Zuniga lying on the bed, face up. When police arrived at the scene, the confirmed she had died.
In a separate message, Macotelo informed Zuniga's family of his whereabouts and police arrested him.
The victim's father, Elpidio Ortega, told Costa Rican news website La Nacion that he was not aware that the couple had any problems.
Medina shot her dead earlier after she told him she was planning to leave him during a heated argument.
Accompanying the Facebook picture, Medina wrote: "I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman