Costa Rica Copycat Murder: Man Kills Girlfriend and Sends Photo on WhatsApp
By Hannah Osborne | August 20, 2013 10:24 PM EST
A suspect in Costa Rica has been arrested for killing his girlfriend and sending the photo of her body via the free messaging application WhatsApp.
The 29-year-old, known only by his surname Macotelo, was accused of strangling his girlfriend, taking her picture and sending it to her sister.
Melissa Zuniga, 27, was believed to have been killed at the home she shared with Macoleto in Huacas. The pair had been in a relationship for 18 months.
Joel Barrantes, of the Judicial Investigation Organisation, said that Macotelo had confessed to the crime through WhatsApp.
In the message, Macotelo told the sister that Zuniga was dead and apologised for what he had done.
The accompanying picture showed Zuniga lying on the bed, face up. When police arrived at the scene, the confirmed she had died.
In a separate message, Macotelo informed Zuniga's family of his whereabouts and police arrested him.
The victim's father, Elpidio Ortega, told Costa Rican news website La Nacion that he was not aware that the couple had any problems.
Medina shot her dead earlier after she told him she was planning to leave him during a heated argument.
Accompanying the Facebook picture, Medina wrote: "I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date