From 'Apoorva Ragangal' to 'Kochadaiyaan': Rajinikanth Completes 38 Years in Cinema
By sangeetha seshagiri | August 20, 2013 10:21 PM EST
Superstar Rajinikanth, who made his debut with "Apoorva Ragangal", recently completed 38 years in the film industry.
Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, a bus conductor from Bangalore, was introduced as Rajinikanth to Tamil cinema by Balachander. The veteran director gave Rajinikanth his first opportunity to star in his film "Apoorva Raagangal" (Rare Melodies), co-starring Kamal Haasan, Srividya and Jayaudha.
Since then the actor has starred in several films and performed varied roles - from villain to hero and comedian. He has been part of several hit films and some of them are memorable including "16 Vayadhinile", "Anbulla Rajinikanth" (actor appeared his self), "Sri Raghavendra", "Baasha", "Padayyappa", "Chandramukhi", "Sivaji" and "Enthiran".
The massive success of "Enthiran" ("Robot") catapulted Rajinikanth to the international arena. Despite enjoying immense popularity worldwide, the superstar is known for his simplicity. He completed 38 years in Indian cinema on 18 August. On the same day, film historian Mohan Raman spoke about Rajini's meteoric rise from a common man to a superstar, at an event as part of the Chennai Heritage Talk in ITC Grand Chola, Chennai.
The actor gave anecdotes and spoke of lesser-known facts about Rajini. "His first job was as an office peon. He also tried out several other jobs, before he became a conductor," Mohan was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
The event was attended by Balachander and director SP Muthuraman. Speaking at the event, Balachander said, "I did not change his name (Sivaji Rao Gaekwad) for the sake of it. There was already a giant called Sivaji at that time and so, I wanted to change this young man's name. For the new name, I chose Rajinikanth, a character from my own film, Major Chandrakanth," according to the news daily.
An audio byte from Rajinikanth was played at the event. In the audio, the actor revealed that he loved his learning phase more than anything else. He also said that he is in a spiritual quest and is seeking peace.
Rajini, who has acted in more than 150 films, will next be seen in "Kochadaiyaan", an epic drama directed by his second daughter Soundarya. Fans are waiting to see their demi-god appear on the big screen once again. The superstar was last seen in 2010-blockbuster "Enthiran" appearing in dual roles - as a scientist and a robot.
In his upcoming film, Rajini will once again feature in two roles - father and son. Apart from the legendary actor, "Kochadaiyaan" has Deepika Padukone, Aadhi, Jackie Shroff, Nassar and Shobana in supporting roles. The film is claimed to be the first Indian film to use 3D motion capturing technology in the likes of Hollywood films "Tin Tin" and "Avatar".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports