From 'Apoorva Ragangal' to 'Kochadaiyaan': Rajinikanth Completes 38 Years in Cinema
By sangeetha seshagiri | August 20, 2013 10:21 PM EST
Superstar Rajinikanth, who made his debut with "Apoorva Ragangal", recently completed 38 years in the film industry.
Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, a bus conductor from Bangalore, was introduced as Rajinikanth to Tamil cinema by Balachander. The veteran director gave Rajinikanth his first opportunity to star in his film "Apoorva Raagangal" (Rare Melodies), co-starring Kamal Haasan, Srividya and Jayaudha.
Since then the actor has starred in several films and performed varied roles - from villain to hero and comedian. He has been part of several hit films and some of them are memorable including "16 Vayadhinile", "Anbulla Rajinikanth" (actor appeared his self), "Sri Raghavendra", "Baasha", "Padayyappa", "Chandramukhi", "Sivaji" and "Enthiran".
The massive success of "Enthiran" ("Robot") catapulted Rajinikanth to the international arena. Despite enjoying immense popularity worldwide, the superstar is known for his simplicity. He completed 38 years in Indian cinema on 18 August. On the same day, film historian Mohan Raman spoke about Rajini's meteoric rise from a common man to a superstar, at an event as part of the Chennai Heritage Talk in ITC Grand Chola, Chennai.
The actor gave anecdotes and spoke of lesser-known facts about Rajini. "His first job was as an office peon. He also tried out several other jobs, before he became a conductor," Mohan was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
The event was attended by Balachander and director SP Muthuraman. Speaking at the event, Balachander said, "I did not change his name (Sivaji Rao Gaekwad) for the sake of it. There was already a giant called Sivaji at that time and so, I wanted to change this young man's name. For the new name, I chose Rajinikanth, a character from my own film, Major Chandrakanth," according to the news daily.
An audio byte from Rajinikanth was played at the event. In the audio, the actor revealed that he loved his learning phase more than anything else. He also said that he is in a spiritual quest and is seeking peace.
Rajini, who has acted in more than 150 films, will next be seen in "Kochadaiyaan", an epic drama directed by his second daughter Soundarya. Fans are waiting to see their demi-god appear on the big screen once again. The superstar was last seen in 2010-blockbuster "Enthiran" appearing in dual roles - as a scientist and a robot.
In his upcoming film, Rajini will once again feature in two roles - father and son. Apart from the legendary actor, "Kochadaiyaan" has Deepika Padukone, Aadhi, Jackie Shroff, Nassar and Shobana in supporting roles. The film is claimed to be the first Indian film to use 3D motion capturing technology in the likes of Hollywood films "Tin Tin" and "Avatar".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff