More than 10 summer signings could make their debut when newly promoted Crystal Palace host London rivals Tottenham Hotspur at Selhurst Park in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 1.30pm BST, with Sky Sports 1/1HD and Sky Go providing live coverage in the UK. Watch the highlights of the game on Match of the Day 2 on BBC One/One HD at 10.25pm.
Palace, who won promotion from the Championship via the play-off finals last season, return to the top flight for the first time in eight years. However, the Eagles find themselves up against history, having never managed to beat the drop in their Premier League history; they have previously lost the relegation battle four times out of four.
Manager Ian Holloway is keen to end that run and is confident of his chances, after signing nine players in the summer transfer window. Striker Dwight Gayle a £4.5m arrival from Peterborough United has been the big catch, while midfielders Jose Campana (Sevilla), Stephen Dobbie (Brighton and Hove Albion), left-back Florian Marange (Bordeaux), winger Elliot Grandin (Blackpool) and forward Marouane Chamakh (Arsenal) are all seen as valuable additions in the Eagles' bid for survival.
Tottenham, on the other hand, will be determined to break into the top four this season, after missing out the last Champions League qualification spot to archrivals Arsenal in the past two years. It is true that Andre Villas-Boas' preparations for the new campaign were considerably hampered by the speculation surrounding unsettled talisman Gareth Bale, who has been heavily linked with a move to long-time admirers Real Madrid.
However, Spurs have strengthened significantly this summer and will be confident of achieving their targets this season, even if they lose Bale. Spain international striker Roberto Soldado, who joined from Valencia in a club record £26m move, has been the headline arrival. Meanwhile, pundits believe Brazil midfielder Paulinho, who arrived from world champions Corinthians for £17m, could be one of the signings of the season. Also new in the ranks at White Hart Lane this season are Belgian winger Nacer Chadli and French anchorman Etienne Capoue.
What Managers Say
Holloway (on losing striker target Darren Bent to Fulham): "They've stepped in, took our deal. I was told last night he was coming to us. I was told this morning he was coming to us. It's life. There are bigger sharks than us."
Villas-Boas (on why he turned down offers from big clubs this summer): "Because this is my first opportunity to start a second year in the same club. I think that can give me an advantage and it is something I want to try."
- Last Five Games: (most recent first): L W W D D
- Last Match: Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Lazio
- Last Five Games: (most recent first): D L W L D
- Last Match: Tottenham Hotspur 1- 1 Espanyol
- Injured: Bolasie (hamstring), McCarthy (groin), Murray (knee), J Thomas (ankle)
- Doubtful: Price (calf), Campana (foot)
- Suspended: N/A
Probable Line-up (4-2-3-1): Speroni; Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey; Jedinak, Garvan; Grandin, Dobbie, Gayle; Chamakh
- Injured: Bale (foot), Holtby (thigh)
- Doubtful: Vertonghen (ankle), Assou-Ekotto (groin)
- Suspended: N/A
Probable Line-up (4-2-3-1): Lloris; Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Rose; Paulinho, Dembele; Lennon, Sigurdsson, Chadli; Soldado
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Models' Ramp Walk Aired on Tuesday [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Bold, Sexy and Sensuous Lingerie Fashion [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Drooling Guys, Conscious Girls, Naughty Jokes on Twitter [SEE PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Best Pictures From The Sexiest Show Ever [ SEE PHOTOS/VIDEOS]