Prince Friso Funeral: Dutch Prince Laid to Rest after Death in Coma [PHOTOS]
By Sanskrity Sinha | August 17, 2013 9:53 PM EST
Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands, who died on Monday following 18 months of treatment in coma, was buried in a cemetery at Stulpkerk Church in Lage Vuursche, on 16 August. He was 44.
The funeral of Prince Friso was held in a private ceremony attended by royal family members and friends, the Netherlands Government Information Service (RVD) announced on behalf of the Dutch Royal Family.
Prince Friso passed away at Palace Huis ten Bosch in The Hague on the morning of 12 August. He died of complications related to the hypoxic brain injury, which he suffered as the result of his skiing accident in Lech, Austria last year.
Prince Friso, younger brother of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, was buried in an avalanche while skiing in the Austrian Alps on 17 February, during his winter holidays with the royal family. He was rushed to Innsbruck University Hospital's intensive care unit where the doctors said that he may not come out of a coma.
“Following initial treatment at the Intensive Care Unit of the Innsbruck University Hospital, Prince Friso was transferred in early March 2012 to the Wellington hospital in London, his place of residence. In November 2012, Prince Friso begun showing signs of limited awareness ('minimal consciousness') and remained in that state since then. In early July 2013, he was transferred to Palace Huis ten Bosch in The Hague, the Netherlands,” an official statement read.
Here are the photos from Prince Friso’s funeral and some of other memorable photos from his lifetime.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate