China's Barking Mad Dog-Lion Zoo to Reopen with 'Correct Signs’
By Hannah Osborne | August 16, 2013 9:36 PM EST
The zoo in China that tried to fool paying customers into thinking a Tibetan mastiff dog was a lion has shut down for "rectification" work.
When the zoo in Luohe, in Henan province, was exposed for peddling bear-faced lies, it was shut down temporarily.
Visitors said that the lion at the zoo was actually a dog, which was made clear when it started barking. It also had two rats in the snake display area and foxes purporting to be leopards. A pet dog was also seen in the wolf enclosure.
According to the Beijing Times, zoo officials issued a public apology for tricking paying customers - the zoo charged adults 14 yuan (£1.50) for a ticket.
It said it would reopen with correct signs. Officials said that several misnamed animal signs had been corrected while the zoo closed "for rectification". It is not known if the owners plan to bring in new animals or if they hoped to entice customers with honestly-labelled dogs, foxes and rats.
A photograph of the Tibetan mastiff labelled "African lion" was ridiculed online. One user suggested that they could have at least used huskies for wolves.
One customer, who wanted to teach her little boy about wildlife, said: "The zoo is absolutely cheating us. To use a dog to impersonate a lion is an insult to tourists."
She was further embarrassed when she took her young son to see the wolves and he pointed out that they were dogs. The telltale clue was when the animals started barking instead of howling.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS