Carmelo Anthony’s Philanthropic Saga Continues: Melo Plays Softball for Charity [VIDEOS]
By Anna Patricia Peralta | August 16, 2013 3:18 PM EST
New York Knick's Carmelo 'Melo' Anthony, one of the highest paid NBA players, is giving back to his community. Melo has returned to Puerto Rico for a fourth year to dedicate yet another basketball court to kids in the U.S. territory.
"I've been blessed to be able to do and create this platform this court for kids through my foundation ... To come back here in Puerto Rico to try and make an impact in each of these communities we pick every year - that's the easy part. 'Cause I kinda take being a role model to a lot of communities to a lot of kids - I know I have a lot of kids that look up to me - and that a lot of these communities and kids are looking for hope. And for me to be able this hope and belief once again -that's what I'm here for, just to spread the love and just to have some fun," the Knicks forward player said in a press conference with the media last week.
Watch the full conference here:
A day after the press conference, Carmelo Anthony hosted his first ever Golf Challenge, which he hopes to make an annual event in his visits in Puerto Rico. See the video here.
On Thursday, Aug 15, he played a game of softball with his friends, family and Knicks teammates for fans in the community.
Watch a clip of the game here:
A Very Melo Weekend indeed.
Carmelo Anthony, who escaped the harshness of a drug- and violence-ridden community through sports, has been involved in philanthropic causes since early 2000s. In 2006, he donated a whopping $1.5 million to the Living Classrooms Foundation - a Baltimore based non-profit organisation that aims to strengthen communities and inspire the youth to reach their potential by providing "hands-on education and job training, using urban, natural and maritime resources as 'living classrooms.'"
For more information about his foundation, visit thisismelo.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales