Carmelo Anthony’s Philanthropic Saga Continues: Melo Plays Softball for Charity [VIDEOS]
By Anna Patricia Peralta | August 16, 2013 3:18 PM EST
New York Knick's Carmelo 'Melo' Anthony, one of the highest paid NBA players, is giving back to his community. Melo has returned to Puerto Rico for a fourth year to dedicate yet another basketball court to kids in the U.S. territory.
"I've been blessed to be able to do and create this platform this court for kids through my foundation ... To come back here in Puerto Rico to try and make an impact in each of these communities we pick every year - that's the easy part. 'Cause I kinda take being a role model to a lot of communities to a lot of kids - I know I have a lot of kids that look up to me - and that a lot of these communities and kids are looking for hope. And for me to be able this hope and belief once again -that's what I'm here for, just to spread the love and just to have some fun," the Knicks forward player said in a press conference with the media last week.
Watch the full conference here:
A day after the press conference, Carmelo Anthony hosted his first ever Golf Challenge, which he hopes to make an annual event in his visits in Puerto Rico. See the video here.
On Thursday, Aug 15, he played a game of softball with his friends, family and Knicks teammates for fans in the community.
Watch a clip of the game here:
A Very Melo Weekend indeed.
Carmelo Anthony, who escaped the harshness of a drug- and violence-ridden community through sports, has been involved in philanthropic causes since early 2000s. In 2006, he donated a whopping $1.5 million to the Living Classrooms Foundation - a Baltimore based non-profit organisation that aims to strengthen communities and inspire the youth to reach their potential by providing "hands-on education and job training, using urban, natural and maritime resources as 'living classrooms.'"
For more information about his foundation, visit thisismelo.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy