Carmelo Anthony’s Philanthropic Saga Continues: Melo Plays Softball for Charity [VIDEOS]
By Anna Patricia Peralta | August 16, 2013 3:18 PM EST
New York Knick's Carmelo 'Melo' Anthony, one of the highest paid NBA players, is giving back to his community. Melo has returned to Puerto Rico for a fourth year to dedicate yet another basketball court to kids in the U.S. territory.
"I've been blessed to be able to do and create this platform this court for kids through my foundation ... To come back here in Puerto Rico to try and make an impact in each of these communities we pick every year - that's the easy part. 'Cause I kinda take being a role model to a lot of communities to a lot of kids - I know I have a lot of kids that look up to me - and that a lot of these communities and kids are looking for hope. And for me to be able this hope and belief once again -that's what I'm here for, just to spread the love and just to have some fun," the Knicks forward player said in a press conference with the media last week.
Watch the full conference here:
A day after the press conference, Carmelo Anthony hosted his first ever Golf Challenge, which he hopes to make an annual event in his visits in Puerto Rico. See the video here.
On Thursday, Aug 15, he played a game of softball with his friends, family and Knicks teammates for fans in the community.
Watch a clip of the game here:
A Very Melo Weekend indeed.
Carmelo Anthony, who escaped the harshness of a drug- and violence-ridden community through sports, has been involved in philanthropic causes since early 2000s. In 2006, he donated a whopping $1.5 million to the Living Classrooms Foundation - a Baltimore based non-profit organisation that aims to strengthen communities and inspire the youth to reach their potential by providing "hands-on education and job training, using urban, natural and maritime resources as 'living classrooms.'"
For more information about his foundation, visit thisismelo.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage