Severe Earthquake Stuns New Zealand, Twitter Users Say It's Stronger than Previous Quake [VIDEO]
By Reissa Su | August 16, 2013 1:53 PM EST
New Zealand was struck by a severe earthquake on the South Island. The country's seismological agency has reported a 6.2 magnitude earthquake that struck Wellington that caused a shutdown of mobile phone coverage.
The strong earthquake may have damaged a house in Nelson based on incoming reports by local news agencies. The New Zealand Stock Exchange is down and public safety authorities are scrambling to answer calls of alarmed residents. Wellington's transportation services suspended its operations.
The earthquake struck Wellington at 2:31 pm local time. New Zealand's Twitter users said the recent earthquake was stronger than the one that struck the city in July 2013. Twitter user and TV1 news reporter Jessica Mutch said people went under their desks to protect themselves.
Marcus Figueroa tweets: "Oh my. That was very strong," "My car was wiggling while driving, I thought one of my wheels was coming off! #eqnz"
Mike Forbes tweeted: "That was easily the biggest quake i've felt," "VERY shakey. house felt like it was wobbling forever."
Michael Brennan, a resident of Seatoun, Wellington, was sitting and watching television when he felt the strong earthquake. He said his house began to shake and sway as he thought "it must have nearly split the country in half."
The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre assured Wellington residents and those in nearby regions that there is no threat of a tsunami to the Australian mainland and its territories. The warning centre also reported that the earthquake happened under the sea with a magnitude of 7.0 near Cook Strait.
GeoNet reported the earthquake was 8 kilometres deep and a magnitude of 6.2. GeoNet classified the New Zealand earthquake as severe with the epicentre at 10 kilometres south east of Seddon.
Based from initial reactions of residents in Wellington, the recent earthquake may just be stronger compared to the previous quake. No casualties are yet to be reported. More on this story as soon as details are available.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup