US: Gun Safety Class Student Michael Piemonte Shot by Instructor
By Umberto Bacchi | August 13, 2013 8:30 PM EST
An American gun safety instructor has accidentally shot a student during class at a training facility in Ohio.
Terry Dunlap was showing a handgun to the 29 students attending a concealed-carry class at his shooting range near the city of Lancaster when the weapon went off.
The 38-calibre bullet ricocheted off a desk and hit Michael Piemonte, 26, in the upper arm.
"Everyone was in shock," Piemonte said. "It took me a couple of seconds to realise I had been shot."
After first aid by nurses who were also attending the course, Piemonte was taken to a hospital and released a few hours later.
He had been attending the course with his wife Alison.
"My wife was sitting just inches away from me. It could have easily hit her," he told the Columbus Dispatch.
He said that Dunlap did not seem to realise that the gun was loaded.
"I am thankful that it only ended up being in my arm, and didn't hit my wife or individuals sitting at the desk behind me."
The couple were planning to buy a gun and under state laws gun safety classes are compulsory for first-time buyers.
Police listed the incident as accidental and no charges have been filed.
"It was the first time I've been shot, and hopefully the last." Piemonte said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4