US: Gun Safety Class Student Michael Piemonte Shot by Instructor
By Umberto Bacchi | August 13, 2013 8:30 PM EST
An American gun safety instructor has accidentally shot a student during class at a training facility in Ohio.
Terry Dunlap was showing a handgun to the 29 students attending a concealed-carry class at his shooting range near the city of Lancaster when the weapon went off.
The 38-calibre bullet ricocheted off a desk and hit Michael Piemonte, 26, in the upper arm.
"Everyone was in shock," Piemonte said. "It took me a couple of seconds to realise I had been shot."
After first aid by nurses who were also attending the course, Piemonte was taken to a hospital and released a few hours later.
He had been attending the course with his wife Alison.
"My wife was sitting just inches away from me. It could have easily hit her," he told the Columbus Dispatch.
He said that Dunlap did not seem to realise that the gun was loaded.
"I am thankful that it only ended up being in my arm, and didn't hit my wife or individuals sitting at the desk behind me."
The couple were planning to buy a gun and under state laws gun safety classes are compulsory for first-time buyers.
Police listed the incident as accidental and no charges have been filed.
"It was the first time I've been shot, and hopefully the last." Piemonte said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate