Box Office Collection: Shah Rukh's 'Chennai Express' Didn't Break Salman's 'Ek Tha Tiger' Record, Says Trade Analyst
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 12, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Bollywood's latest release, "Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone is no doubt a money spinner, setting a new opening weekend record but it is not sure if it has broken the opening record of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" with trade analysts given contradictory figures.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh declared on his twitter handle that "Chennai Express" earned ₹33.12 crore on the opening day, breaking the first day collection record of ₹30.50 crore set by Salman's "Ek Tha Tiger".
On the contrary, Amul Mohan of Super Cinema said that Shah Rukh's "Chennai Express" earned only ₹29.50 crore, which is one core lesser than Salman's blockbuster film. Box Office India portal also reported that "Chennai Express" collected ₹29.32 crore on the first day.
Interestingly, the weekend collection figures of "Chennai Express" given out by Taran Adarsh and Amul Mohan also vary. The former declared that the film has entered ₹100 core club while the latter claimed that it hasn't.
Shah Rukh's film earned ₹100.42 crore at domestic box office in the first weekend - Thursday preview ₹6.75 crore, Friday - ₹33.12 crore, Saturday - ₹28.05 crore, Sunday - ₹32.50 core, according to Adarsh. On the contrary, Amul Mohan tweeted that "Chennai Express" earned ₹90.75 cr in the first weekend - Thursday preview - ₹6.00 crore, Friday - ₹30.00 crore, Saturday - ₹27.25 crore, Sunday - ₹27.50.
However, Mohan said that "Chennai Express" is set to become the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore club after beating the biggest three-day grossers "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹62.5 crore), "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹61.0 crore) and "Dabangg 2" (₹60.0 crore).
"#ChennaiExpress will beat #EkThaTiger which did 100cr in 5 days, #Bodyguard & #YJHD had done it in 6 days and #Dabangg2 did in 7 days," tweeted Mohan.
Whether or not "Chennai Express" has broken the opening day collection, Shah Rukh's film is likely to break more records.
"Chennai Express" directed by Rohit Shetty was released in 3500 theatres in India and 700 overseas. The romantic comedy, which was made on a budget of ₹90 crore, has reported earned more than ₹130 crore from worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’