Box Office Collection: Shah Rukh's 'Chennai Express' Didn't Break Salman's 'Ek Tha Tiger' Record, Says Trade Analyst
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 12, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Bollywood's latest release, "Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone is no doubt a money spinner, setting a new opening weekend record but it is not sure if it has broken the opening record of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" with trade analysts given contradictory figures.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh declared on his twitter handle that "Chennai Express" earned ₹33.12 crore on the opening day, breaking the first day collection record of ₹30.50 crore set by Salman's "Ek Tha Tiger".
On the contrary, Amul Mohan of Super Cinema said that Shah Rukh's "Chennai Express" earned only ₹29.50 crore, which is one core lesser than Salman's blockbuster film. Box Office India portal also reported that "Chennai Express" collected ₹29.32 crore on the first day.
Interestingly, the weekend collection figures of "Chennai Express" given out by Taran Adarsh and Amul Mohan also vary. The former declared that the film has entered ₹100 core club while the latter claimed that it hasn't.
Shah Rukh's film earned ₹100.42 crore at domestic box office in the first weekend - Thursday preview ₹6.75 crore, Friday - ₹33.12 crore, Saturday - ₹28.05 crore, Sunday - ₹32.50 core, according to Adarsh. On the contrary, Amul Mohan tweeted that "Chennai Express" earned ₹90.75 cr in the first weekend - Thursday preview - ₹6.00 crore, Friday - ₹30.00 crore, Saturday - ₹27.25 crore, Sunday - ₹27.50.
However, Mohan said that "Chennai Express" is set to become the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore club after beating the biggest three-day grossers "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹62.5 crore), "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹61.0 crore) and "Dabangg 2" (₹60.0 crore).
"#ChennaiExpress will beat #EkThaTiger which did 100cr in 5 days, #Bodyguard & #YJHD had done it in 6 days and #Dabangg2 did in 7 days," tweeted Mohan.
Whether or not "Chennai Express" has broken the opening day collection, Shah Rukh's film is likely to break more records.
"Chennai Express" directed by Rohit Shetty was released in 3500 theatres in India and 700 overseas. The romantic comedy, which was made on a budget of ₹90 crore, has reported earned more than ₹130 crore from worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal