Box Office Collection: Shah Rukh's 'Chennai Express' Didn't Break Salman's 'Ek Tha Tiger' Record, Says Trade Analyst
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 12, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Bollywood's latest release, "Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone is no doubt a money spinner, setting a new opening weekend record but it is not sure if it has broken the opening record of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" with trade analysts given contradictory figures.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh declared on his twitter handle that "Chennai Express" earned ₹33.12 crore on the opening day, breaking the first day collection record of ₹30.50 crore set by Salman's "Ek Tha Tiger".
On the contrary, Amul Mohan of Super Cinema said that Shah Rukh's "Chennai Express" earned only ₹29.50 crore, which is one core lesser than Salman's blockbuster film. Box Office India portal also reported that "Chennai Express" collected ₹29.32 crore on the first day.
Interestingly, the weekend collection figures of "Chennai Express" given out by Taran Adarsh and Amul Mohan also vary. The former declared that the film has entered ₹100 core club while the latter claimed that it hasn't.
Shah Rukh's film earned ₹100.42 crore at domestic box office in the first weekend - Thursday preview ₹6.75 crore, Friday - ₹33.12 crore, Saturday - ₹28.05 crore, Sunday - ₹32.50 core, according to Adarsh. On the contrary, Amul Mohan tweeted that "Chennai Express" earned ₹90.75 cr in the first weekend - Thursday preview - ₹6.00 crore, Friday - ₹30.00 crore, Saturday - ₹27.25 crore, Sunday - ₹27.50.
However, Mohan said that "Chennai Express" is set to become the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore club after beating the biggest three-day grossers "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹62.5 crore), "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹61.0 crore) and "Dabangg 2" (₹60.0 crore).
"#ChennaiExpress will beat #EkThaTiger which did 100cr in 5 days, #Bodyguard & #YJHD had done it in 6 days and #Dabangg2 did in 7 days," tweeted Mohan.
Whether or not "Chennai Express" has broken the opening day collection, Shah Rukh's film is likely to break more records.
"Chennai Express" directed by Rohit Shetty was released in 3500 theatres in India and 700 overseas. The romantic comedy, which was made on a budget of ₹90 crore, has reported earned more than ₹130 crore from worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged