Box Office Collection: Shah Rukh's 'Chennai Express' Didn't Break Salman's 'Ek Tha Tiger' Record, Says Trade Analyst
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 12, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Bollywood's latest release, "Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone is no doubt a money spinner, setting a new opening weekend record but it is not sure if it has broken the opening record of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" with trade analysts given contradictory figures.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh declared on his twitter handle that "Chennai Express" earned ₹33.12 crore on the opening day, breaking the first day collection record of ₹30.50 crore set by Salman's "Ek Tha Tiger".
On the contrary, Amul Mohan of Super Cinema said that Shah Rukh's "Chennai Express" earned only ₹29.50 crore, which is one core lesser than Salman's blockbuster film. Box Office India portal also reported that "Chennai Express" collected ₹29.32 crore on the first day.
Interestingly, the weekend collection figures of "Chennai Express" given out by Taran Adarsh and Amul Mohan also vary. The former declared that the film has entered ₹100 core club while the latter claimed that it hasn't.
Shah Rukh's film earned ₹100.42 crore at domestic box office in the first weekend - Thursday preview ₹6.75 crore, Friday - ₹33.12 crore, Saturday - ₹28.05 crore, Sunday - ₹32.50 core, according to Adarsh. On the contrary, Amul Mohan tweeted that "Chennai Express" earned ₹90.75 cr in the first weekend - Thursday preview - ₹6.00 crore, Friday - ₹30.00 crore, Saturday - ₹27.25 crore, Sunday - ₹27.50.
However, Mohan said that "Chennai Express" is set to become the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore club after beating the biggest three-day grossers "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹62.5 crore), "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹61.0 crore) and "Dabangg 2" (₹60.0 crore).
"#ChennaiExpress will beat #EkThaTiger which did 100cr in 5 days, #Bodyguard & #YJHD had done it in 6 days and #Dabangg2 did in 7 days," tweeted Mohan.
Whether or not "Chennai Express" has broken the opening day collection, Shah Rukh's film is likely to break more records.
"Chennai Express" directed by Rohit Shetty was released in 3500 theatres in India and 700 overseas. The romantic comedy, which was made on a budget of ₹90 crore, has reported earned more than ₹130 crore from worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles