Box Office Collection: Shah Rukh's 'Chennai Express' Didn't Break Salman's 'Ek Tha Tiger' Record, Says Trade Analyst
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 12, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Bollywood's latest release, "Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone is no doubt a money spinner, setting a new opening weekend record but it is not sure if it has broken the opening record of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" with trade analysts given contradictory figures.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh declared on his twitter handle that "Chennai Express" earned ₹33.12 crore on the opening day, breaking the first day collection record of ₹30.50 crore set by Salman's "Ek Tha Tiger".
On the contrary, Amul Mohan of Super Cinema said that Shah Rukh's "Chennai Express" earned only ₹29.50 crore, which is one core lesser than Salman's blockbuster film. Box Office India portal also reported that "Chennai Express" collected ₹29.32 crore on the first day.
Interestingly, the weekend collection figures of "Chennai Express" given out by Taran Adarsh and Amul Mohan also vary. The former declared that the film has entered ₹100 core club while the latter claimed that it hasn't.
Shah Rukh's film earned ₹100.42 crore at domestic box office in the first weekend - Thursday preview ₹6.75 crore, Friday - ₹33.12 crore, Saturday - ₹28.05 crore, Sunday - ₹32.50 core, according to Adarsh. On the contrary, Amul Mohan tweeted that "Chennai Express" earned ₹90.75 cr in the first weekend - Thursday preview - ₹6.00 crore, Friday - ₹30.00 crore, Saturday - ₹27.25 crore, Sunday - ₹27.50.
However, Mohan said that "Chennai Express" is set to become the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore club after beating the biggest three-day grossers "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹62.5 crore), "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹61.0 crore) and "Dabangg 2" (₹60.0 crore).
"#ChennaiExpress will beat #EkThaTiger which did 100cr in 5 days, #Bodyguard & #YJHD had done it in 6 days and #Dabangg2 did in 7 days," tweeted Mohan.
Whether or not "Chennai Express" has broken the opening day collection, Shah Rukh's film is likely to break more records.
"Chennai Express" directed by Rohit Shetty was released in 3500 theatres in India and 700 overseas. The romantic comedy, which was made on a budget of ₹90 crore, has reported earned more than ₹130 crore from worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza