TPG Eyes Potential Aptalis Pharma Buyer in Deal Over $3bn
By Debasree Purkayastha | August 8, 2013 7:02 PM EST
Aptalis Pharma has been valued at over $3bn by TPG, which is working with JPMorgan Chase and Evercore Partners to look for a buyer.
Anonymous sources close to the sale process told Reuters that interested parties had been put off by the high price tag and that it is unclear if a deal will be done.
India's Sun Pharmaceutical Industries and North Caroline-based Salix Pharmaceuticals were said to have been interested in buy Aptalis, but have since pulled back.
Elan and Forest Laboratories are among others who also considered bidding for the pharmaceutical company earlier in 2013, said Reuters, but also pulled out.
While it is still unclear if there will be any deal with Aptalis, the Reuters sources speculated that TPG could consider alternatives such as an initial public offering or a dividend capitalisation.
TPG, which has has $56.7bn of capital under its management, merged Aptalis with Eurand Pharmaceuticals in 2011. In the following year, Aptalis posted $269m in gross earnings.
The move to sell Aptalis Pharma comes at a time when there are multiple deals taking place in the pharmaceuticals world.
According to a Mergermaket report, there were 101 deals worth $6.6bn in the pharmaceutical, medical and biotech sectors aggregated during the first half of 2013. The second quarter saw the highest number of deals in all these sectors.
Royalty Pharma mounted a hostile takeover attempt of Irish drug company Elan. However, Elan was acquired at the end of July by US drug maker Perrigo in a deal worth of $8.6bn.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports