TPG Eyes Potential Aptalis Pharma Buyer in Deal Over $3bn
By Debasree Purkayastha | August 8, 2013 7:02 PM EST
Aptalis Pharma has been valued at over $3bn by TPG, which is working with JPMorgan Chase and Evercore Partners to look for a buyer.
Anonymous sources close to the sale process told Reuters that interested parties had been put off by the high price tag and that it is unclear if a deal will be done.
India's Sun Pharmaceutical Industries and North Caroline-based Salix Pharmaceuticals were said to have been interested in buy Aptalis, but have since pulled back.
Elan and Forest Laboratories are among others who also considered bidding for the pharmaceutical company earlier in 2013, said Reuters, but also pulled out.
While it is still unclear if there will be any deal with Aptalis, the Reuters sources speculated that TPG could consider alternatives such as an initial public offering or a dividend capitalisation.
TPG, which has has $56.7bn of capital under its management, merged Aptalis with Eurand Pharmaceuticals in 2011. In the following year, Aptalis posted $269m in gross earnings.
The move to sell Aptalis Pharma comes at a time when there are multiple deals taking place in the pharmaceuticals world.
According to a Mergermaket report, there were 101 deals worth $6.6bn in the pharmaceutical, medical and biotech sectors aggregated during the first half of 2013. The second quarter saw the highest number of deals in all these sectors.
Royalty Pharma mounted a hostile takeover attempt of Irish drug company Elan. However, Elan was acquired at the end of July by US drug maker Perrigo in a deal worth of $8.6bn.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation