40-year-old Woman Gives Birth to Biggest Baby in Spain Without Needing a C-Section
By Reissa Su | August 8, 2013 5:32 PM EST
A 40-year-old woman in Spain gave birth to a 6.2 kilogramme baby without a Ceasarian-section. British-born Maxime Marin delivered the biggest baby ever born naturally in Spain at 4:43 am local time on August 7 in the Hospital Marina Salud in the city of Denia.
The hospital released a statement regarding the baby and mother's condition. Larger babies are usually delivered via a C-section but Ms. Marin did not even ask for an epidural or the painkiller injected into the spine to ease the pain of childbirth.
The new mother lives in Spain with her partner from Colombia. The hospital said Ms. Marin knew the baby was big but "not that big". Ms. Marin has three other children who weight at least 4.5 kg when they were born.
The 6.2 kg baby was named Maria Lorena Marin. The hospital said both baby and mother were doing fine after birth. Baby Maria remained in the neonatal care unit. She was declared "the biggest baby ever born in Spain through natural childbirth."
Dr. Javier Ruis, head of the hospital's department of obstetrics and gynaecology, said he has never seen a baby being born that big through natural childbirth. He said the doctors and staff were all satisfied with the result.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest baby in the world was born to a Canadian, Anna Bates, in 1879. The baby was born 10.5 kg but died eleven hours later. Both of the baby's parents had giantism.
Kasier Permanente Southern California's biostatistician, Mary Helen Black said notable newborn weight is often a sign of more serious health problems. Ms. Black told the Huffington Post in an interview that babies who are born too big have an increased risk to health complications especially for the infant later on in life.
When a baby is born more than 8 pounds, as in the case of Baby Maria, it is known as fetal macrosomia, a condition associated with the mother's obesity and diabetes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’