40-year-old Woman Gives Birth to Biggest Baby in Spain Without Needing a C-Section
By Reissa Su | August 8, 2013 5:32 PM EST
A 40-year-old woman in Spain gave birth to a 6.2 kilogramme baby without a Ceasarian-section. British-born Maxime Marin delivered the biggest baby ever born naturally in Spain at 4:43 am local time on August 7 in the Hospital Marina Salud in the city of Denia.
The hospital released a statement regarding the baby and mother's condition. Larger babies are usually delivered via a C-section but Ms. Marin did not even ask for an epidural or the painkiller injected into the spine to ease the pain of childbirth.
The new mother lives in Spain with her partner from Colombia. The hospital said Ms. Marin knew the baby was big but "not that big". Ms. Marin has three other children who weight at least 4.5 kg when they were born.
The 6.2 kg baby was named Maria Lorena Marin. The hospital said both baby and mother were doing fine after birth. Baby Maria remained in the neonatal care unit. She was declared "the biggest baby ever born in Spain through natural childbirth."
Dr. Javier Ruis, head of the hospital's department of obstetrics and gynaecology, said he has never seen a baby being born that big through natural childbirth. He said the doctors and staff were all satisfied with the result.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest baby in the world was born to a Canadian, Anna Bates, in 1879. The baby was born 10.5 kg but died eleven hours later. Both of the baby's parents had giantism.
Kasier Permanente Southern California's biostatistician, Mary Helen Black said notable newborn weight is often a sign of more serious health problems. Ms. Black told the Huffington Post in an interview that babies who are born too big have an increased risk to health complications especially for the infant later on in life.
When a baby is born more than 8 pounds, as in the case of Baby Maria, it is known as fetal macrosomia, a condition associated with the mother's obesity and diabetes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Thanks to Technology, Young People are Losing the Ability to Read Emotions
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble