40-year-old Woman Gives Birth to Biggest Baby in Spain Without Needing a C-Section
By Reissa Su | August 8, 2013 5:32 PM EST
A 40-year-old woman in Spain gave birth to a 6.2 kilogramme baby without a Ceasarian-section. British-born Maxime Marin delivered the biggest baby ever born naturally in Spain at 4:43 am local time on August 7 in the Hospital Marina Salud in the city of Denia.
The hospital released a statement regarding the baby and mother's condition. Larger babies are usually delivered via a C-section but Ms. Marin did not even ask for an epidural or the painkiller injected into the spine to ease the pain of childbirth.
The new mother lives in Spain with her partner from Colombia. The hospital said Ms. Marin knew the baby was big but "not that big". Ms. Marin has three other children who weight at least 4.5 kg when they were born.
The 6.2 kg baby was named Maria Lorena Marin. The hospital said both baby and mother were doing fine after birth. Baby Maria remained in the neonatal care unit. She was declared "the biggest baby ever born in Spain through natural childbirth."
Dr. Javier Ruis, head of the hospital's department of obstetrics and gynaecology, said he has never seen a baby being born that big through natural childbirth. He said the doctors and staff were all satisfied with the result.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest baby in the world was born to a Canadian, Anna Bates, in 1879. The baby was born 10.5 kg but died eleven hours later. Both of the baby's parents had giantism.
Kasier Permanente Southern California's biostatistician, Mary Helen Black said notable newborn weight is often a sign of more serious health problems. Ms. Black told the Huffington Post in an interview that babies who are born too big have an increased risk to health complications especially for the infant later on in life.
When a baby is born more than 8 pounds, as in the case of Baby Maria, it is known as fetal macrosomia, a condition associated with the mother's obesity and diabetes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- Movember Ends With Shave-Off
- Viral 'Do They Know Its Christmas?' Video With Ed Sheeran, One Direction, Sam Smith Raises $1.5 Million For Ebola In Minutes
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast