40-year-old Woman Gives Birth to Biggest Baby in Spain Without Needing a C-Section
By Reissa Su | August 8, 2013 5:32 PM EST
A 40-year-old woman in Spain gave birth to a 6.2 kilogramme baby without a Ceasarian-section. British-born Maxime Marin delivered the biggest baby ever born naturally in Spain at 4:43 am local time on August 7 in the Hospital Marina Salud in the city of Denia.
The hospital released a statement regarding the baby and mother's condition. Larger babies are usually delivered via a C-section but Ms. Marin did not even ask for an epidural or the painkiller injected into the spine to ease the pain of childbirth.
The new mother lives in Spain with her partner from Colombia. The hospital said Ms. Marin knew the baby was big but "not that big". Ms. Marin has three other children who weight at least 4.5 kg when they were born.
The 6.2 kg baby was named Maria Lorena Marin. The hospital said both baby and mother were doing fine after birth. Baby Maria remained in the neonatal care unit. She was declared "the biggest baby ever born in Spain through natural childbirth."
Dr. Javier Ruis, head of the hospital's department of obstetrics and gynaecology, said he has never seen a baby being born that big through natural childbirth. He said the doctors and staff were all satisfied with the result.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest baby in the world was born to a Canadian, Anna Bates, in 1879. The baby was born 10.5 kg but died eleven hours later. Both of the baby's parents had giantism.
Kasier Permanente Southern California's biostatistician, Mary Helen Black said notable newborn weight is often a sign of more serious health problems. Ms. Black told the Huffington Post in an interview that babies who are born too big have an increased risk to health complications especially for the infant later on in life.
When a baby is born more than 8 pounds, as in the case of Baby Maria, it is known as fetal macrosomia, a condition associated with the mother's obesity and diabetes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Australia's Response to Ebola Crisis 'Lethally Inadequate'
- Reasons Kate Middleton Cancelled Royal Duties: Weight Gain, Growing Baby Bump, Bloated Face
- An Apple A Day Keeps Obesity Away: Finds New Study
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots