North India Rains: 2 Die in Uttar Pradesh, Flash Floods Hit J&K
By Karuna Chandwani | August 5, 2013 5:26 PM EST
Heavy rainfall in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) triggered flash floods on Sunday, affecting about 30 villages across the northern state.
Amidst forecast of further rainfall, the flash floods in Samba district of J&K has displaced about 26 families. At least 24 families from Barian village and two in Thalote village were shifted to safer outlets, officials told Press Trust of India (PTI).
The incessant rains have also affected Uttar Pradesh where two people were reported dead from flood-hit districts of Ghazipur and Ballia.
The Central Water Commission in Uttar Pradesh said that major rivers in the state were flowing dangerously close to the red mark. The River Ganga has already breached the danger mark at Varanasi, Ghazipur, Ballia and Phaphamau (Allahabad).
Himachal Pradesh also experienced heavy rainfall and over the next two days, torrential downpours are expected to hit the state. Dharamsala received maximum rainfall at 132 mm.
Even Rajasthan is expected to receive more rains as a cyclonic circulation is seen over the south-eastern part of the state and neighbouring states, an MeT office said.
Scathing Summer in Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
Although rains are expected within 24 hours, temperatures are above normal. High humidity has hit Delhi and the states of Punjab and Haryana.
The maximum temperature in Delhi was raised two notches above normal at 35.8 degrees Celsius and humidity varied from 59 and 88 percent. The weather department predicted light showers in the national capital.
High temperatures grappled Punjab as Patiala was the hottest in the region. The city experienced a high temperature that was three notches above normal at 35.6 degrees.
Rain eluded Haryana as well. Hisar and Narnaul registered a maximum temperature of 35.5 degrees.
Temperature in the capital city of both states, Chandigarh, was notched up to 35.2 degrees.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date