North India Rains: 2 Die in Uttar Pradesh, Flash Floods Hit J&K
By Karuna Chandwani | August 5, 2013 5:26 PM EST
Heavy rainfall in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) triggered flash floods on Sunday, affecting about 30 villages across the northern state.
Amidst forecast of further rainfall, the flash floods in Samba district of J&K has displaced about 26 families. At least 24 families from Barian village and two in Thalote village were shifted to safer outlets, officials told Press Trust of India (PTI).
The incessant rains have also affected Uttar Pradesh where two people were reported dead from flood-hit districts of Ghazipur and Ballia.
The Central Water Commission in Uttar Pradesh said that major rivers in the state were flowing dangerously close to the red mark. The River Ganga has already breached the danger mark at Varanasi, Ghazipur, Ballia and Phaphamau (Allahabad).
Himachal Pradesh also experienced heavy rainfall and over the next two days, torrential downpours are expected to hit the state. Dharamsala received maximum rainfall at 132 mm.
Even Rajasthan is expected to receive more rains as a cyclonic circulation is seen over the south-eastern part of the state and neighbouring states, an MeT office said.
Scathing Summer in Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
Although rains are expected within 24 hours, temperatures are above normal. High humidity has hit Delhi and the states of Punjab and Haryana.
The maximum temperature in Delhi was raised two notches above normal at 35.8 degrees Celsius and humidity varied from 59 and 88 percent. The weather department predicted light showers in the national capital.
High temperatures grappled Punjab as Patiala was the hottest in the region. The city experienced a high temperature that was three notches above normal at 35.6 degrees.
Rain eluded Haryana as well. Hisar and Narnaul registered a maximum temperature of 35.5 degrees.
Temperature in the capital city of both states, Chandigarh, was notched up to 35.2 degrees.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display