Honda Overtakes Bajaj In 2-Wheeler Market, Registers Highest Monthly Sales
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 4, 2013 5:57 PM EST
Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) overtook Bajaj Auto in domestic and overseas sales in July to become the country's second largest two-wheeler manufacturer.
According to latest sales figures declared by HMSI for July 2013, the company registered sales of 2, 87,177 units including exports, out of which 147,635 units were motorcycles and rest 139,542 were scooters. This is the first time for Honda to have sold more motorcycles than scooters, thanks to Honda's Dream series.
"Honda has created a new chapter in its Indian operations with three new records. In July 13, Honda have achieved highest ever sales, highest domestic market share of 24per cent and also became second largest player in domestic and export sales in two wheeler industry," said YS Guleria, HMSI vice-president (sales and marketing).
"This is largely attributed to the overwhelming demand for Dream series and the increase in production with start of second production line at the third factory in Narsarpura, Karnataka".
During the same period, Bajaj Auto registered a plunge in sales by 18 percent. The company didn't see a rise in two-wheeler sales despite the roll out of new models like Discover ST and Discover 100T. The labour issues at Bajaj's Chakan plant seemed to have resulted in the slowdown of the company. As the issue has been resolved, Bajaj is now expected to reclaim its lost glory in the market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools