Honda Overtakes Bajaj In 2-Wheeler Market, Registers Highest Monthly Sales
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 4, 2013 5:57 PM EST
Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) overtook Bajaj Auto in domestic and overseas sales in July to become the country's second largest two-wheeler manufacturer.
According to latest sales figures declared by HMSI for July 2013, the company registered sales of 2, 87,177 units including exports, out of which 147,635 units were motorcycles and rest 139,542 were scooters. This is the first time for Honda to have sold more motorcycles than scooters, thanks to Honda's Dream series.
"Honda has created a new chapter in its Indian operations with three new records. In July 13, Honda have achieved highest ever sales, highest domestic market share of 24per cent and also became second largest player in domestic and export sales in two wheeler industry," said YS Guleria, HMSI vice-president (sales and marketing).
"This is largely attributed to the overwhelming demand for Dream series and the increase in production with start of second production line at the third factory in Narsarpura, Karnataka".
During the same period, Bajaj Auto registered a plunge in sales by 18 percent. The company didn't see a rise in two-wheeler sales despite the roll out of new models like Discover ST and Discover 100T. The labour issues at Bajaj's Chakan plant seemed to have resulted in the slowdown of the company. As the issue has been resolved, Bajaj is now expected to reclaim its lost glory in the market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’