Ancient Alaskan Village Found in Arctic Circle
By Sanskrity Sinha | August 3, 2013 10:18 PM EST
A team of archaeologists from Brown University have unearthed the remains of a native village in northwest Alaska. The site has been uncovered along the banks of the Kobuk River, in Kobuk Valley National Park, about 40km north of the Arctic Circle.
According to Alaska Public Media (APM), the archaeologists identified the remains of houses by studying large depressions on the ground. These depressions are reportedly the size of one-room cabins, dug about four feet into the ground and interconnected by tunnels.
"In some other areas here we've found maybe two houses that are connected by tunnels, but nothing like this. And in other areas those houses are really quite small compared to the houses here; these are gigantic houses," Dr Doug Anderson, who led the excavation, explained.
Initial tests date the village to the late 18th or early 19th centuries and if this is accurate then it suggests habitation prior to European settlement. Moreover, the discovery of metal and glass beads on the site suggests interaction with those visitors.
Meanwhile, Edward Cleofe, an undergraduate student at the site, explains the importance of finding coprolites - dog excrement. He explains that the discovery of fish bones and scales suggests a large and active community, one with pets and possibly an active social life.
According to Thomas Jackson, an elder with the Inupiat tribe, the archaeological site may have been a village called Igliqtiqsiugvigruak and, incidentally, refers to pet dogs too.
"All what we know about that place, what the people talked about were that of skilful people, a place of strong shamanism acts, a strong dog," he explains.
There are still a few puzzles to be solved though, such as the lack of tools.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design