Ancient Alaskan Village Found in Arctic Circle
By Sanskrity Sinha | August 3, 2013 10:18 PM EST
A team of archaeologists from Brown University have unearthed the remains of a native village in northwest Alaska. The site has been uncovered along the banks of the Kobuk River, in Kobuk Valley National Park, about 40km north of the Arctic Circle.
According to Alaska Public Media (APM), the archaeologists identified the remains of houses by studying large depressions on the ground. These depressions are reportedly the size of one-room cabins, dug about four feet into the ground and interconnected by tunnels.
"In some other areas here we've found maybe two houses that are connected by tunnels, but nothing like this. And in other areas those houses are really quite small compared to the houses here; these are gigantic houses," Dr Doug Anderson, who led the excavation, explained.
Initial tests date the village to the late 18th or early 19th centuries and if this is accurate then it suggests habitation prior to European settlement. Moreover, the discovery of metal and glass beads on the site suggests interaction with those visitors.
Meanwhile, Edward Cleofe, an undergraduate student at the site, explains the importance of finding coprolites - dog excrement. He explains that the discovery of fish bones and scales suggests a large and active community, one with pets and possibly an active social life.
According to Thomas Jackson, an elder with the Inupiat tribe, the archaeological site may have been a village called Igliqtiqsiugvigruak and, incidentally, refers to pet dogs too.
"All what we know about that place, what the people talked about were that of skilful people, a place of strong shamanism acts, a strong dog," he explains.
There are still a few puzzles to be solved though, such as the lack of tools.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories