Ancient Alaskan Village Found in Arctic Circle
By Sanskrity Sinha | August 3, 2013 10:18 PM EST
A team of archaeologists from Brown University have unearthed the remains of a native village in northwest Alaska. The site has been uncovered along the banks of the Kobuk River, in Kobuk Valley National Park, about 40km north of the Arctic Circle.
According to Alaska Public Media (APM), the archaeologists identified the remains of houses by studying large depressions on the ground. These depressions are reportedly the size of one-room cabins, dug about four feet into the ground and interconnected by tunnels.
"In some other areas here we've found maybe two houses that are connected by tunnels, but nothing like this. And in other areas those houses are really quite small compared to the houses here; these are gigantic houses," Dr Doug Anderson, who led the excavation, explained.
Initial tests date the village to the late 18th or early 19th centuries and if this is accurate then it suggests habitation prior to European settlement. Moreover, the discovery of metal and glass beads on the site suggests interaction with those visitors.
Meanwhile, Edward Cleofe, an undergraduate student at the site, explains the importance of finding coprolites - dog excrement. He explains that the discovery of fish bones and scales suggests a large and active community, one with pets and possibly an active social life.
According to Thomas Jackson, an elder with the Inupiat tribe, the archaeological site may have been a village called Igliqtiqsiugvigruak and, incidentally, refers to pet dogs too.
"All what we know about that place, what the people talked about were that of skilful people, a place of strong shamanism acts, a strong dog," he explains.
There are still a few puzzles to be solved though, such as the lack of tools.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- 7-Year Old Buried Alive By 'Family' Crawls Out From Under The Ground
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares