Are Organic Foods Really That Healthy?
By Prerna Sood | August 2, 2013 5:05 PM EST
Organic foods have been around for a while now. Some of us are even used to having them every day now. But can you really differentiate organic foods from non organic ones? Can you pick which one is which if two oranges are placed right in front of you, both delicious looking and beautiful in colour? Both full of Vitamin C, both with a good amount of fiber, both free of cholesterol, so which one do you choose and how? Get the facts right before you go grocery shopping the next time.
The biggest reasons why more people are now switching to organic foods are fewer pesticides and more nutrients. Studies have shown that organic foods have about 40% more nutrients than foods grown the conventional way. Most of us don't make a fuss about eating traditionally grown foods but those who feel they could opt for organic alternatives and consume foods minus the pesticides and added nutrition have several options at the supermarket.
"Organic" really means the way farmers grow and process their agricultural produce. Organic farming focuses greatly on soil conservation and causing less pollution whatsoever. If a crop is grown organically, it would simply mean that there are no fertilizers, chemicals or pesticides used on them which compared to non organic foods, makes them safer to consume. Farmers use more of manure or compost to enhance plant/crop growth when cultivating organically.
How to trust which foods are genuinely organic and which aren't, you ask. Well, in most countries that let you buy organic foods, there are certification programs that require the growers to meet certain standards of quality. These standards are parameters to keep the growth, treatment and processing of organic foods in check. So you can always ensure for Government approved labels that ensure those foods have been cleared as healthy to eat!
The bottom line is that however, there is more nutrition in organic foods as compared to their non organic counterparts but even then there isn't a fool proof way to ensure if they have been exposed to chemicals or fertilizers in an indirect way. If purchasing all foods of organic produce is not an option for you, choice wise or financially (organic foods are more expensive), you can just buys those foods that are generally the highest contaminated like Apples, Celery, Strawberries, Spinach, Grapes, Potatoes, Blueberries, Lettuce, etc.
So, weigh your options and make the pick, organic or non organic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone