Australia Cricket Team: Will Michael Clarke, Shane Watson Taste Victory Together?
By Sachin Trivedi | August 2, 2013 11:33 AM EST
Let's be honest, the Australian team has the deck stacked against them - facing a possible loss that will go down in history as the worst losing streak since 1887/88 , the departure of the coach Mickey Arthur, the calf injury of star player Kevin Pietersen and most importantly the friction between Michael Clarke and Shane Watson.
Clarke in a recent interview mentioned that he was part of a team where wining had become a habit and if we check the record books we see that Australia dominated the Ashes series for over a decade at the start of the 21st century. So what happened?
How did the team go from being the favorites to win in any format of the game (to the point where it was almost obvious who would win) to the current state of affairs.
The problem perhaps is in the leadership! Although the fans are not privy to the exact reason for the friction between Clarke and Watson it is plain enough to see that the solution is strong leadership.
Hang on! It's not that this writers wishes to heap the entire responsibility on Clarke's shoulder obviously the team is accountable as a whole and individual players have to put aside their differences and ego to support their team and captain.
Nonetheless, it is the captains responsibility to get everyone on the same page by giving them individual responsibilities and a common goal.
Sun tzu the famous master of war strategies said: "You will not succeed unless your men have tenacity and unity of purpose and, above all, a spirit of sympathetic cooperation." The Australian team and its captain will do well to learn from this quote.
So, with this hard task at hand what are the chances of the Australian team wining? Michael Clark believes that Australia can win the series, many laugh at the idea at this point of time but they may be in for a surprise because there is someone trying to spin things around for the Australian team.
Shane Warne so far has done all the right things, he has down played the differences between Watson and Clarke, he is working with the team and motivating them. All this hard work has to pay off now.
Why now? Well that's because the Australians have their backs against the wall and are desperate and hungry for a win. Technique and talent can only take you so far but to win the most important thing is the drive, the Australian team should be driven by the fear of a loss and hunger for a win.
Sun Tzu reminds: "Confront them with annihilation, and they will survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will live. When people fall into danger, they are able to strive for victory."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues