Jackie Chan 2013 Death Hoax Continues: Spammers Use Fake Death Reports on Chinese Actor with Facebook Apps
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 2, 2013 10:39 AM EST
The Jackie Chan 2013 death hoax reports still continue on social media sites. This time, the culprits are spammers who use the fake death reports about the legendary Chinese actor with a Facebook app.
Photo credit: Facebook
Netizens will be offered a link to the "yahoo_newsaxx" app within Facebook that even uses the homepage "Yahoo" or "Breaking News" as the source before sending another link that urges downloading the "Media Player Classic" product.
A particular message spread from the rogue Facebook app reads: "Hollywood Breaking News - Jackie Chan died after perfecting a deadly stunt. Jackie Chan falls from a building of 12 floors. C.S.I. are currently investigating. Watch the original video of the deadly stunt and their effort to save Jackie Chan. (for 18 years and above)."
Another troubling report reads: "Hollywood Alarming NEWS UPDATE - Mr Jackie Chan Chinese celebrity superstar is currently in Massachusetts General Hospital hanging on and fighting for his life. Chan has fallen from a building that was 27th floor high building while trying to perform a deadly stunt for his latest action movie. The NBI is currently investigating the accident for possible causes. Video footage of the accident can be viewed here on this exclusive video of Jackie falling to the ground. Watch the Full actual Exclusive Vide0 here," reads the other message.
The Internet page even features a suspicious looking video of emergency rescue workers surrounding a victim whose face is concealed with Jackie Chan's photo attached next to it. The links does not really offer a video of the Chinese actor's fatal stunt but it serves as bait that allows third-party application access to the Facebook page where it posts inviting messages to family and friends to have a look at the Jackie Chan death video.
To make the Jackie Chan 2013 death news sound more suspicious, the Internet users will be told to download first then install a plugin in order to fully access the video. Facebook users can still put a stop to this scam by choosing not to allow the app have access to their personal page.
The careless Facebook users, who easily give access to the spamming app, will become a victim as the scammers take advantage and even post messages on their behalf. People are encouraged as well to be careful when downloading the software since it could result to computer problems in the future.
The Jackie Chan death hoax appears to have started from a Facebook page called "R.I.P. Jackie Chan" and the 59-year-old Hong Kong martial arts superstar has been a favorite target of several fake death reports since 2011. Last June, Mr Chan wrote on his Facebook page to refute the death news with an attached image of himself holding the newspaper and pointing to the date.
The Facebook spammers are using the false news to lure the online users in clicking on with their apps. Another Facebook spamming victim is the "Harry Potter" star Emma Watson where it offers a naked video link of the British actress and the spam contains a link that spreads pornography using the Facebook user's profile.
"Whatever the explanation, it's disturbing to continue to see spams and scams spreading so effectively across the world's most popular social network," Graham Cluley from the security firm Sophos stated.
More Jackie Chan 2013 Death Hoax Articles to Read:
Jackie Chan Death Hoax 2013: Chinese Actor Continues to Untiringly Refute Fake Death Reports [PHOTOS] - [READ]
Jackie Chan Death Hoax 2013: Chinese Actor Reacts on Facebook Message and Photo [PHOTOS] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]