‘Walrus Lodger’ Gumtree Advert Inspires New Kevin Smith Horror Movie
By Ewan Palmer | August 2, 2013 12:00 AM EST
A bizarre Gumtree advert looking for a lodger willing to act like a walrus is the inspiration for a new horror film by cult director Kevin Smith.
The advert, which went viral earlier this year, said the tenant would be able to live at the house in Brighton for free if he was willing to wear a walrus costume and "make utterances in the voice of a walrus" for up to two hours a day.
One of the people who saw the ad was the Clerks and Chasing Amy director, who decided he would talk about it on his weekly podcaster with producer Scott Mosier.
However, instead of discussing what he described as "one of the most peculiar we would ever tackle on the show," Smith decided to expand upon the idea into a full movie Tusk - a parody of a 1970s Hammer Horror movie "in which a mad scientist intends to sew some hapless lodger into counterfeit blubber".
Smith revealed that he intends to have Tusk to premier at next year's Sundance festival. "That would mean, six months after the first conversation about a walrus flick, Tusk would exist as a movie" he added.
The inspiration for the film came from an anonymous poster on the listings website Gumtree who wished to recreate "the most intense and fascinating" three years of his life alone on St. Lawrence Island in Brighton.
The advertiser said that during these years, he made friends with a walrus named Gregory.
"Never have I had such a fulfilling friendship with anyone, human or otherwise, and upon leaving the island I was heartbroken for months," the post read.
It added that the successfully applicant would be able to live in the house rent-free if he was willing to wear a life-like walrus costume he had made.
The post continued: "To take on the position as my lodger you must be prepared to wear the walrus suit for approximately two hours each day (in practice, this is not two hours every day - I merely state it here so you are able to have a clear idea of the workload).
"Whilst in the walrus costume you must be a walrus - there must be no speaking in a human voice, and any communication must entail making utterances in the voice of a walrus - I believe there are recordings available on the web - to me, the voice is the most natural thing I have ever heard. "
Other duties that was included as part of the agreement including eating the fish and crabs occasionally threw at the lodger whilst dressed in the full walrus costume.
After the advert went viral, the poster gave an update which said he eventually found a new lodger after an "overwhelming response".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date