‘Walrus Lodger’ Gumtree Advert Inspires New Kevin Smith Horror Movie
By Ewan Palmer | August 2, 2013 12:00 AM EST
A bizarre Gumtree advert looking for a lodger willing to act like a walrus is the inspiration for a new horror film by cult director Kevin Smith.
The advert, which went viral earlier this year, said the tenant would be able to live at the house in Brighton for free if he was willing to wear a walrus costume and "make utterances in the voice of a walrus" for up to two hours a day.
One of the people who saw the ad was the Clerks and Chasing Amy director, who decided he would talk about it on his weekly podcaster with producer Scott Mosier.
However, instead of discussing what he described as "one of the most peculiar we would ever tackle on the show," Smith decided to expand upon the idea into a full movie Tusk - a parody of a 1970s Hammer Horror movie "in which a mad scientist intends to sew some hapless lodger into counterfeit blubber".
Smith revealed that he intends to have Tusk to premier at next year's Sundance festival. "That would mean, six months after the first conversation about a walrus flick, Tusk would exist as a movie" he added.
The inspiration for the film came from an anonymous poster on the listings website Gumtree who wished to recreate "the most intense and fascinating" three years of his life alone on St. Lawrence Island in Brighton.
The advertiser said that during these years, he made friends with a walrus named Gregory.
"Never have I had such a fulfilling friendship with anyone, human or otherwise, and upon leaving the island I was heartbroken for months," the post read.
It added that the successfully applicant would be able to live in the house rent-free if he was willing to wear a life-like walrus costume he had made.
The post continued: "To take on the position as my lodger you must be prepared to wear the walrus suit for approximately two hours each day (in practice, this is not two hours every day - I merely state it here so you are able to have a clear idea of the workload).
"Whilst in the walrus costume you must be a walrus - there must be no speaking in a human voice, and any communication must entail making utterances in the voice of a walrus - I believe there are recordings available on the web - to me, the voice is the most natural thing I have ever heard. "
Other duties that was included as part of the agreement including eating the fish and crabs occasionally threw at the lodger whilst dressed in the full walrus costume.
After the advert went viral, the poster gave an update which said he eventually found a new lodger after an "overwhelming response".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’