Big Day Out 2014 Lineup Announced: Blur, Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire Named Headline Acts
By Anne Lu | August 1, 2013 11:24 AM EST
The Big Day Out 2014 lineup has been announced, Blur joining as one of the headliners. The travelling festival, which is set to kick off in Auckland on January 17, will also see guaranteed crowd pleasers Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, and Snoop Dogg (aka Snoop Lion).
The “impossible” lineup is said to be over a decade in the making, one which promoter Ken West is very excited about.
“I would be happy with any of those three acts closing the festival,” he told Faster Louder, referring to the headliners Blur, Arcade Fire and Pearl Jam. “We haven’t had that before. So it’s the most impossible lineup we’ve had because if you think about it logically there’s no other place in the world where you’d get these three acts on the same bill unless it was Live Aid.
“That’s the only other time you can get the egos pushed out of the way... While three bands don’t make a festival these are three really f****** good bands.”
The BDO in New Zealand in 2012 was a total lost. Ticket sales were poor and the Australian promoter said they lost $1.5 million, which saw the festival canned for 2013.
:We had it all stacked the wrong way. We’d been talking about the viability in New Zealand for five years leading up to that ... You get into a position where you think, ‘It’s not viable, we shouldn’t do it,” West continued. “But we were committed so we followed it through.”
But West is more positive that the 2014 show would be different. The BDO leg at Western Springs Stadium and Park had been reorganised to make the show viable.
“We’ve gone into this one on the basis that it has a standalone budget and we’ve pulled everything into line. We’ve negotiated the artist’s fees down specifically for New Zealand and explained that it’s New Zealand dollars over there.
“We’ve had to reinvent the process to create a viable event.”
As for Blur, making their BDO debut is exciting. They will play different sets at both Sydney shows on January 26 and 27, and will close the festival each night.
“It’s hugely exciting and there’s something for everybody there,” bassist Alex James told Fairfax Media. “It’s a while since we’ve played festivals, but everything about festivals has got better... the only thing you can’t guarantee is the weather.”
Tickets go on sale at 9 am on August 12.
Big Day Out 2014 schedule:
Jan 17 – Western Springs, Auckland
Jan 19 – Metricon Stadium & Carrara Parklands, Gold Coast
Jan 24 – Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne
Jan 26 – Sydney Showgrounds, Sydney
Jan 27 – Sydney Showgrounds, Sydney
Jan 31 – Bonython Park, Adelaide
Feb 2 – Claremont Showgrounds, Perth
List of lineup:
Snoop Dogg aka Snoop Lion
The Naked and Famous
The Phoenix Foundation
Toro y Moi
Clap Clap Riot
Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury Duets To Be Officially Released [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine