How to Save Your Old Google Nexus 7 With Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
By Precious Silva | July 31, 2013 1:59 PM EST
Google finally rolled out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update. The latest update provides users with a software command that can prevent operating systems slowdown. In 2012, many users expressed their concerns about system lags on the first Nexus 7. Google sought out to address this.
Android 4.3 update will save the old Google Nexus 7, the tech giant explained.
Slowdown in the previous Nexus 7 was due to low-level software. Particularly, how previous developers wrote information on the flash storage caused the problem. If the storage is empty (when the tablet is brand new), writing data was not a problem. The system was quick and the operating system functioned smoothly.
However, as the storage fills up with information, the operating system became preoccupied searching for free data blocks. The device became too busy looking for storage space, it affected its performance. More problems arise when storage is full. Without free memory, the operating system needed to delete some blocks before it can write any data. This slowed down the Nexus considerably.
To solve the problem, the OS should regularly release a TRIM command. This analyzes every data block and looks for the ones not used and deletes them. In this manner, the device will not have a hard time looking for data blocks. There will be a block available when information needs to be written.
TRIM cannot work on the original Nexus 7 because it runs on Android 4.2. Fortunately, the 4.3 Jelly Bean update allows users to place and run the TRIM command on their original Nexus 7. AnandTech's Brian Klug explained that Android 4.3 will run the command on a regular basis.This ensures unnecessary blocks are wiped out and there is always free storage.
TRIM command will run every time the device is idle or turned off. The update does not necessarily mean users should expect a miracle overnight. It will take a while before the device can adjust but it will improve computing and interface performance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced