How to Save Your Old Google Nexus 7 With Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update
By Precious Silva | July 31, 2013 1:59 PM EST
Google finally rolled out the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update. The latest update provides users with a software command that can prevent operating systems slowdown. In 2012, many users expressed their concerns about system lags on the first Nexus 7. Google sought out to address this.
Android 4.3 update will save the old Google Nexus 7, the tech giant explained.
Slowdown in the previous Nexus 7 was due to low-level software. Particularly, how previous developers wrote information on the flash storage caused the problem. If the storage is empty (when the tablet is brand new), writing data was not a problem. The system was quick and the operating system functioned smoothly.
However, as the storage fills up with information, the operating system became preoccupied searching for free data blocks. The device became too busy looking for storage space, it affected its performance. More problems arise when storage is full. Without free memory, the operating system needed to delete some blocks before it can write any data. This slowed down the Nexus considerably.
To solve the problem, the OS should regularly release a TRIM command. This analyzes every data block and looks for the ones not used and deletes them. In this manner, the device will not have a hard time looking for data blocks. There will be a block available when information needs to be written.
TRIM cannot work on the original Nexus 7 because it runs on Android 4.2. Fortunately, the 4.3 Jelly Bean update allows users to place and run the TRIM command on their original Nexus 7. AnandTech's Brian Klug explained that Android 4.3 will run the command on a regular basis.This ensures unnecessary blocks are wiped out and there is always free storage.
TRIM command will run every time the device is idle or turned off. The update does not necessarily mean users should expect a miracle overnight. It will take a while before the device can adjust but it will improve computing and interface performance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display