Is the House from 'The Conjuring' Still Haunted? Current Owners Call For Help!
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 30, 2013 2:50 PM EST
The real owners of the house featured in "The Conjuring" are experiencing troublesome disturbances not from ghosts but with obsessed fans, who have watched the horror flick.
"The Conjuring's" intense popularity has brought unwelcomed visitors to the house, especially at night when fans snoop in the backyard in the middle of the night.
"Our barn is very vulnerable and there is a big story connected to the barn about supposed hangings. Can you see kids breaking in and doing a séance with candles and having it burn down?" Norma Sutcliffe, who owns the house with her husband, said.
The Sutcliffes are already poor in health and Norma has to go outside and scream at people to leave their place everytime they nose around their property.
"This is affecting us physically and emotionally and I don't know long we can take it," she said. In addition, Norma has been receiving strange calls even though her phone number is unlisted.
The 18th-century farmhouse in Burillville, Rhode Island was once believed to be haunted by ghosts when the Perron family settled there in the '70s.
The 1977 Providence Journal report wrote that Carolyn Perron experienced a scary apparition of "the head of an old woman hanging off to one side over an old gray dress."
"There was a voice reverberating, 'Get out. Get out. I'll drive you out with death and gloom.'"
The Warrens came into the picture when a paranormal group brought them to the Perron family to investigate. They later concluded that the house is haunted by Bathsheba Sherman.
Sherman lived in house in the early 19th century and according to the Warrens, Sherman had been practicing satanism and "murdered her young daughter as a sacrifice to Lucifer. To remain on the premises to haunt the house for ever more, the woman followed established black rituals and took her own life. She hanged herself - hence her apparition to Mrs. Perron."
Lorraine Warren, 86, said that the Perron family had no religion at that particular time and the hauntings were caused by the family's lack of religious faith. When she attended the premiere in Los Angeles, she told the press that "it was a very, very negative case."
Meanwhile, Norma said that she has not seen any signs of unusual things in the 25 years she's lived in the farmhouse. "I just laughed at the whole thing." She describes "The Conjuring" to be "ironically ridiculous" and "an insult to the Perrons".
She also turned down the offer from Warner Bros., the movie's distributor, to appear in its promotion and her only wish now is for them to step in and help her with the situation. "It is not our story but we are the ones who are suffering."
"All we get is the consequences," she said.
Cinemablend reported that Norma is not asking for money for herself from Warner Bros. but to donate money to the local police for doing their best to keep gawkers away from their home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Baby Bump Pictures Allegedly Arrive on Instagram, Reported to be Pregnant with French Montana's Baby
- Kim Kardashian's Divorce Struggles: Kanye West Emotionally Unavailable, Neglects Kim and North West on Trip to Mexico
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report