Is the House from 'The Conjuring' Still Haunted? Current Owners Call For Help!
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 30, 2013 2:50 PM EST
The real owners of the house featured in "The Conjuring" are experiencing troublesome disturbances not from ghosts but with obsessed fans, who have watched the horror flick.
"The Conjuring's" intense popularity has brought unwelcomed visitors to the house, especially at night when fans snoop in the backyard in the middle of the night.
"Our barn is very vulnerable and there is a big story connected to the barn about supposed hangings. Can you see kids breaking in and doing a séance with candles and having it burn down?" Norma Sutcliffe, who owns the house with her husband, said.
The Sutcliffes are already poor in health and Norma has to go outside and scream at people to leave their place everytime they nose around their property.
"This is affecting us physically and emotionally and I don't know long we can take it," she said. In addition, Norma has been receiving strange calls even though her phone number is unlisted.
The 18th-century farmhouse in Burillville, Rhode Island was once believed to be haunted by ghosts when the Perron family settled there in the '70s.
The 1977 Providence Journal report wrote that Carolyn Perron experienced a scary apparition of "the head of an old woman hanging off to one side over an old gray dress."
"There was a voice reverberating, 'Get out. Get out. I'll drive you out with death and gloom.'"
The Warrens came into the picture when a paranormal group brought them to the Perron family to investigate. They later concluded that the house is haunted by Bathsheba Sherman.
Sherman lived in house in the early 19th century and according to the Warrens, Sherman had been practicing satanism and "murdered her young daughter as a sacrifice to Lucifer. To remain on the premises to haunt the house for ever more, the woman followed established black rituals and took her own life. She hanged herself - hence her apparition to Mrs. Perron."
Lorraine Warren, 86, said that the Perron family had no religion at that particular time and the hauntings were caused by the family's lack of religious faith. When she attended the premiere in Los Angeles, she told the press that "it was a very, very negative case."
Meanwhile, Norma said that she has not seen any signs of unusual things in the 25 years she's lived in the farmhouse. "I just laughed at the whole thing." She describes "The Conjuring" to be "ironically ridiculous" and "an insult to the Perrons".
She also turned down the offer from Warner Bros., the movie's distributor, to appear in its promotion and her only wish now is for them to step in and help her with the situation. "It is not our story but we are the ones who are suffering."
"All we get is the consequences," she said.
Cinemablend reported that Norma is not asking for money for herself from Warner Bros. but to donate money to the local police for doing their best to keep gawkers away from their home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June