Is the House from 'The Conjuring' Still Haunted? Current Owners Call For Help!
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 30, 2013 2:50 PM EST
The real owners of the house featured in "The Conjuring" are experiencing troublesome disturbances not from ghosts but with obsessed fans, who have watched the horror flick.
"The Conjuring's" intense popularity has brought unwelcomed visitors to the house, especially at night when fans snoop in the backyard in the middle of the night.
"Our barn is very vulnerable and there is a big story connected to the barn about supposed hangings. Can you see kids breaking in and doing a séance with candles and having it burn down?" Norma Sutcliffe, who owns the house with her husband, said.
The Sutcliffes are already poor in health and Norma has to go outside and scream at people to leave their place everytime they nose around their property.
"This is affecting us physically and emotionally and I don't know long we can take it," she said. In addition, Norma has been receiving strange calls even though her phone number is unlisted.
The 18th-century farmhouse in Burillville, Rhode Island was once believed to be haunted by ghosts when the Perron family settled there in the '70s.
The 1977 Providence Journal report wrote that Carolyn Perron experienced a scary apparition of "the head of an old woman hanging off to one side over an old gray dress."
"There was a voice reverberating, 'Get out. Get out. I'll drive you out with death and gloom.'"
The Warrens came into the picture when a paranormal group brought them to the Perron family to investigate. They later concluded that the house is haunted by Bathsheba Sherman.
Sherman lived in house in the early 19th century and according to the Warrens, Sherman had been practicing satanism and "murdered her young daughter as a sacrifice to Lucifer. To remain on the premises to haunt the house for ever more, the woman followed established black rituals and took her own life. She hanged herself - hence her apparition to Mrs. Perron."
Lorraine Warren, 86, said that the Perron family had no religion at that particular time and the hauntings were caused by the family's lack of religious faith. When she attended the premiere in Los Angeles, she told the press that "it was a very, very negative case."
Meanwhile, Norma said that she has not seen any signs of unusual things in the 25 years she's lived in the farmhouse. "I just laughed at the whole thing." She describes "The Conjuring" to be "ironically ridiculous" and "an insult to the Perrons".
She also turned down the offer from Warner Bros., the movie's distributor, to appear in its promotion and her only wish now is for them to step in and help her with the situation. "It is not our story but we are the ones who are suffering."
"All we get is the consequences," she said.
Cinemablend reported that Norma is not asking for money for herself from Warner Bros. but to donate money to the local police for doing their best to keep gawkers away from their home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier