Pope Francis a Sexist? Read His View on Controversial Women Priests, Received Negative Reactions on Twitter
By emil samaniego | July 30, 2013 11:19 AM EST
Aboard the Papal aircraft, Pope Francis in a press conference said that the Church's door is closed for a female priest.
This is the first time the Pope publicly talked about the topic.
"We cannot limit the role of women in the Church to altar girls or the president of a charity, there must be more," the Pope said.
"But with regards to the ordination of women, the Church has spoken and says no. Pope John Paul said so with a formula that was definitive. That door is closed," he said referring to a dictum of late Blessed John Paul II saying the ban was an infallible teaching of the Church.
With a wave of feminism creeping in the Catholic Church, many argued that it is time that the Church gives women a higher leadership position. However, the Church stands on its belief that Jesus only willingly chose males as his apostles. Proponents of female priests argued that Jesus only acted in accordance to the context of his time.
Negative twitter Reactions
Following Pope Francis' statements, netizens tweeted negative reactions in social media site Twitter.
Twitter user @KerilynnEngel, a women's history writer tweeted "I don't know why ppl think Pope Francis is so liberal. He says women shouldn't be priests & gay ppl shouldn't lobby for equal rights." Twitter users @MusicbyMeiosis tweeted ""Pope Francis is a f*cking prick;" @graeme9348m said "So what's modern about Pope Francis again...? - no women priests, no contraception, same old crap different century!"; @Zach1213 tweeted "And this is why I've left the church"; @bobby360 flagrant gender-based discrimination.
However, twitter users @jilliferium, on the other hand, commended Pope Francis. She tweeted, "You were doing so well."
Pope Francis a sexist?
Even as a cardinal, Pope Francis was heard saying that women was naturally unfit for political office.
In 2007, during his speech against a woman presidential candidate Cristina Kirchner, Pope Francis said "Women are naturally unfit for political office. Both the natural order and facts show us that the political being par excellence is male; that Scripture shows us that woman has always been the helper of man who thinks and does, but nothing more." ("las mujeres son naturalmente ineptas para ejercer cargos políticos", refiriéndose a la candidatura presidencial de la Senadora Cristina Fernández de Kirchner. "El orden natural y los hechos nos enseñan que el hombre es el ser político por excelencia; las Escrituras nos demuestran que la mujer siempre es el apoyo del hombre pensador y hacedor, pero nada más que eso")
Last 2012, Pope Francis reaffirmed the Vatican's condemnation against Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR), a group of nuns in the United States which according to the Vatican had "serious doctrinal problems" and promoted "radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith."
The Pope has yet to make a statement regarding the allegations that he is a sexist. Meanwhile, his stands against women taking the leadership role in the Catholic Church will remain firm and infallible.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Targets Pope Francis; Italy Deemed As Strategic Point Of Attack
- Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
- Egyptian Feminist Receives Death Threats, The Truth Behind Her Bold Statement To ISIS
- Egyptian Feminist Sends a Bold Message to ISIS as she Poses Nude & Bleeds On Islamic State Flag
- 3 Important Revenue Sources Of Vatican
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen