Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Soon to Receive Android 4.3 Jelly Bean; Android 4.3 Features 4K Resolution for Television Sets
By Ryan Inoyori | July 29, 2013 3:55 PM EST
Australian mobile operator Telstra confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is not getting any Android 4.2.2 update but instead moving straight to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. The latest Android version from Google also supports larger screen display of up to 4k resolution which will be very useful for upcoming devices.
Recently, Telstra confirmed the "no Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean" update is coming for their Galaxy Note 2 device. However, the Australian network carrier pointed that Samsung will give the phablet an official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean instead.
Samsung has been reported to skip Android 4.2.2 update in favour of the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean version which is also referred by Telstra as "newer version."
"Samsung have elected globally to skip the Android 4.2.2 update for this device and will instead go to a newer version of Android. No schedule has been provided for this update," Telstra posted on its update support Web page.
Samsung didn't confirm or deny the rumour of Android 4.3 update for Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3.
Android 4.3 up to 4K Display Resolution
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean source code reveals the support for higher display resolution to devices capable of running the version. Google added a new DPI or dots per inch to Android 4.3 which is XXXHDPI - the company isn't settling down for 1080p.
"Standard quantised DPU for extra-extra-extra-high-density-screens. Applications should not generally worry about this density; relying on XHIGH graphics being scaled up to it should be sufficient for almost all cases. A typical use of this density would be 4K television screens - 3840x2160, which is 2x a traditional HD 1920x1080 screen which runs at DENSITY_XHIGH," according to Android engineer Dianne Hackborn, quoted by Android Police.
The categories before supported by Android OS when it comes with DPI are as follows:
- LOW DPI or LDPI = 120DPI
- Medium DPI or MDPI = 160DPI such as in T-Mobile G1
- High DPI or HDPI = 240DPI such as in Nexus S
- Extra High DPI or XHDPI = 320DPI found in Galaxy Nexus
- Extra Extra High DPI or XXHDPI = 480DPI in HTC One
In Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Google will be supporting "extra extra extra high DPI or XXXHDPI which has 640DPI or Ultra HD display.
But the Android team intends this purpose for 4k TV sets not smartphones since it is already an overkill. The higher DPI category found in Android 4.3 Jelly Bean could pertain full support of the OS with television sets and if so, expect "Google TV" soon and possible OTA firmware update with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible---Report
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks