Sony Xperia Tablet Z Running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Caught on Video; AOSP Source Code Now Available for Developers
By Ryan Inoyori | July 29, 2013 1:55 PM EST
Google's Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware was seen running on the Sony Xperia Tablet Z. Sony also allowed developers to build and then flash it for personal experience. The AOSP device configuration of Android 4.3 Sony Xperia Z and Xperia ZL was now working as well.
Android Open Source Project for Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Developers can now explore the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z. This was for the purpose of supporting Android development. Google's latest Android maintenance release for Jelly Bean included nice features such as restricted profile support in multi-user and Wi-Fi scan-only mode.
However, the AOSP version lacked certain important functions at this time, and the software was not yet suitable for daily use. This meant that you should only install it if you are an advanced developer. In addition, Android 4.3 required an unlocked device, and there were consequences to be considered before doing so.
Technical Status of Android 4.3 for Xperia Tablet Z
Just like with Xperia Z, there were replacement to some binaries in the source code with Dynamic Android Sensor HAL. Custom ROM developers will be given more opportunities to adapt the system to their needs. Included in the project was the newly updated kernel source and latest version of the Qualcomm prima Wi-Fi driver.
Interested to Participate?
All collaboration and contributions will be handled through the GitHub tool. The "readme" files contained all the instructions and information required to get you started. Familiarise yourself with the code and feel free to take a look at the "issue list" to see where you might be able to help out. Bjorn Andersson and Johan Redestig will manage contributions and maintain the projects for all their AOSP for Xperia devices.
For more information, source code details, binary codes, AOSP projects and other useful tools, check out the Developer at Sony Mobile for Xperia Tablet Z.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery