Kate Middleton Topless Photos: French Closer Editor Laurence Pieau Charged over Privacy Breach
By Ewan Palmer | July 26, 2013 7:34 PM EST
The editor of French Closer magazine has been charged with breaking France's privacy laws by publishing topless photographs of Kate Middleton.
Laurence Pieau and an unamed photographer have been formally charged after publishing the photographs of the Duchess of Cambridge last September.
A second photographer is also under investigation and is expected to be charged soon.
Pieau defended the decision to run the pictures, saying the pictures were "not degrading".
"These photos are not in the least shocking," she added.
"They show a young woman sunbathing topless, like the millions of women you see on beaches."
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took legal action against the magazine after the photos were published.
A royal spokesman said at the time that the topless shots were "reminiscent of the worst excesses" of the paparazzi during Princess Diana's lifetime.
Closer was eventually fined for publishing the photos and told not to publish them again either in print or online.
The photos, shot from a distance in Provence in the south of France, were also published in Italy, Ireland, Sweden and Denmark.
Publishing house Mondadori France's legal representative Ernesto Mauri, another unamed photographer and a senior editor of the newspaper La Provence were also charged in the same case.
The Duchess of Cambridge has recently given birth to her first child, Prince George, who is third in line to the throne.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up