It's a Dog Fight for Acer Iconia W3, New Google Asus Nexus 7.2 and iPad Mini, Who Will Win the Market?
By Precious Silva | July 26, 2013 12:14 PM EST
With the release of the new Google Asus Nexus 7.2, tablet competition became stiffer. Following months of hype and speculations, Google finally released their Google Nexus 7.2 last July 24. The device features improved specs including enhanced display and more high performing processor.
Google unveiled two major offerings during their July 24 event in San Francisco: the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update and the second generation Nexus 7. The new Nexus 7.2 served as the flagship device for the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
Contrary to rumors, the new Nexus 7 kept its 7-inch display though it has better display capacities this time. The device sports a WUXGA screen offering better pixels. It also has a fresh set of chipset. Google took out the Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset and opted for the new Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro. The processor comes with a quad-core 1.5GHz Krait processor in the second edition.
With the release of the second installment of Google's most successful tablet, market competition for tablets has become stiffer especially with similar players like Acer putting Iconia W3 to target both Apple's iPad and Google's Nexus niche.
Windows PC makers found it challenging to sell their tablets even with better reviews for Microsoft's Windows 8 update. One of the best examples of these is the company's recent decision to slash off as much as 30% from its Surface RT price. Surface RT is a full-size and well-built tablet running on Microsoft Office. This cost the tech giant as much as $900 million.
Currently, another PC maker joins the pack in an attempt to penetrate the market that Apple's iPad and Google's Nexus have successfully dominated. Acer released their Windows-based tablet Iconia 3. It is less expensive than the first offerings and was named the smallest of its kind to date. Acer released the device in hopes that the 8.1-inch tablet will hit a better spot compared to its 10-inch counterparts.
Recent tests of the W3, says otherwise. W3, compared to the 7.9-inch iPad Mini, does have better screen resolution. It also features the limited edition Microsoft Office desktop found on the Surface RT. Based from analysts reviews, the Iconia W3 remains bulkier compared to the iPad mini. Apple's tablet has faster responding screen and more battery life. Acer's Iconia did not deliver in terms of camera and connectivity. It only offers WiFi and no cellular data.
Similar to many Windows 8 computers, the Iconia W3 encounters more problems with its dual interface and tablet-style apps. Users are better off using the device in single touch mode. On the upper side of things, Acer decided to cut off the prices. The white plastic tablet is also easier to grip and hold unlike the iPad. Acer recently announced it will be releasing a refreshed version to address user problems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’