Tuberculosis Epidemic in Queensland Feared, Official Wants Borders Near PNG Closed
By Reissa Su | July 25, 2013 7:57 PM EST
Papua New Guineans are being barred from entering Torres Strait Islands over fears of a deadly epidemic which has already killed one.
Locals said that the state and federal government efforts were not enough in stopping a tuberculosis epidemic from happening. People fear the disease might spread towards the mainland.
Regional Council Mayor Fred Gela at Torres Strait said an elderly woman died from tuberculosis in April. Since then, the council has refused to let Papua New Guinea traders to set foot on the islands.
Before a Papua New Guinean could enter any of the 14 islands, council staff will need to sign temporary permits. In 2012, about 26,000 permits were issued.
Mr. Gela said the council has been forced to take action since there is no medical check performed on the PNG traders. The council sees it as a precautionary measure to prevent a potential epidemic.
Health Minister Lawrence Springborg said Queensland does not have sufficient funds from the government to attend to the sick Papua New Guineans who travel across the border every year.
Mr. Springborg said Mayor Gela wanted to close the border but only the Commonwealth government can do that. Mr. Gela said the tuberculosis outbreak in Torres Strait is an epidemic and it has worsened over the years.
Mr. Gela has warned officials not to dismiss Torres Strait and turn a blind eye on the diseases that have spread in the area. He also said the epidemic could reach the mainland. What's happening is "everybody's business."
Asylum seekers have also been treated in Queensland hospitals as reported by the Torres Strait and Northern Peninsula Hospital and Health Service.
The increasing number of asylum seekers crossing the border of Australia is cause for concern in Queensland as they could spread diseases and infect the local population.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine