Royal Romance: A Look Back at the Love Between Prince William and Kate Middleton Before 'Baby Cambridge' Was Born
By Floyd Allen | July 23, 2013 3:29 PM EST
It all began at St. Andrews. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate Middleton had their eyes for each other and fell in love during their college days at the University of St. Andrews. The oldest University in Scotland served as the eyes and ears for the love that began as friends and blossomed into history, making Royal romance.
She was just an ordinary girl who grew up in Chapel Row at Bucklebury, Berkshire, England. He is second in line to direct Royal succession; the Britain’s future king who, next to his father could be crowned to the thrones of 16 independent states. But both wanted to study History of Art as they set foot at the University of St. Andrews. And at one of the corners of the university in Fife, Scotland, Prince William saw the good in Kate Middleton to be his Royal bride and the United Kingdom’s future princess.
Prince Wills, as he was fondly called in college, and his future wife, Kate, started out as good friends. They lived just few doors apart in one of the residences at St. Andrew’s University, the St. Salvador’s Hall. The hall, which students then popularly called it as “Sallies,” has been described as an ‘old hall with a wood-paneled dining room and bedrooms with sea views.’ But the future Duke of Cambridge, Prince William had better views than most when he met his future bride, the Duchess of Cambridge, albeit unknowingly.
Since both Wills and Kate were taking Art History, they were also classmates in a number of subjects during their freshmen year - -this was before the future King decided to shift to Geography. And before they decided to look for new views. Things changed from mere good friends shortly after they found a new place together outside Sallies’ halls.
At the beginning of their second year, Prince William and Kate Middleton had reportedly shared a flat with two other friends. Kate Middleton was dating another student in her sophomore year at St. Andrews. There was no official date provided when they got romantically involved. But it is believed that Prince William and Kate began seeing each other as a couple when they moved to a cottage outside town. They shared a flat with two friends at the start of their second year. At the time, Middleton was seeing someone else. The Prince caught Kate’s heart when they moved in with their friends to a cottage outside the town of Fife, Scotland. Thus began the blossoming of the Royal romance.
It was late 2003 when the news broke out at St. Andrews university that Prince William and Kate Middleton were going out as a couple. Both graduated in 2005 and they had a falling out in 2007, until they rekindled their romance a year later.
Known as "Britain's top matchmaking university," St. Andrews did it again and not just for an ordinary couple but one that involved a future king and his lovely wife.
"This university claims it has the most student marriages of any university in Great Britain. My theory is, this is such a small town that there really isn't anything else to do but fall in love," described CNN royal contributor, Mark Saunders.
And the romance did not escape Prince William and Kate Middleton.
"She came here (St. Andrews) as just as a normal student and she comes back today as a woman who will one day sit on the throne of England,” Saunders added referring to the visit, the Duke and Duchess and Cambridge made to St. Andrews on February 25, 2011, more than two months they were set to wed.
About seven years after they began going out as a romantic couple, Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton in December 2010. And in just a few days, the much-anticipated Royal wedding of the century was viewed by billions of people around the world.
Little did both the Duke and the Duchess and the future parents of the “third King in waiting” know, that bumping into each other at the older and smaller halls of the Sallies’ residence would lead them to walk the aisle, hand in hand at London’s historic Westminster Abbey on April 29, 2011. On this date, the world stopped for the much-awaited “wedding of the century.”
Prince William and Kate Middleton were a picture of New Royals when they vowed as husband and wife at the Westminster Abbey two years ago. Kate has become an icon, especially in fashion, and her endeavors have been followed since then. She was a picture of a modern Royal wife and a welcome new image of a future queen.
The Duchess of Cambridge got pregnant in over a year after stunning the world in her captivating, lacy wedding gown by Alexander McQueen at the Wesminster Abbey.
The news of her pregnancy had the world talking and waiting for the birth of the new Royal baby. And at 04:24 p.m. GMT (09:54 p.m. IST) on Monday, the new prince was born! His birth was greeted with cheers at St. Mary's Hospital when the Kensington Palace announced the birth of the new heir at 08:30 GMT (2 a.m. IST, Wednesday).
The couple never disappoints. The new royal baby is set to be the third king-in-waiting!
Don’t MISS! You Might Also Like to READ:
Kate Middleton Gives Birth to HRH: 10 Things to Know; Royal Baby Name as George, James, or 'Spencer?' [TWEETS] Full article here.
Royal Baby Watch: Kate Middleton Delivers a Bouncing Baby Boy, The Future King of England [PHOTOS] Full article here.
Royal Baby Tour 2014 Coming to Australia and New Zealand [FEATURE] Full article here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone