Australian Dollar Outlook - 23 July 2013
By Christine Gaylican | July 23, 2013 10:24 AM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar is trading higher this morning following some weaker than expected
data in the US and a stronger gold price.
Australia: After a fairly quiet day locally, the AUD pushed higher overnight, trading up through USD0.9250. Weaker than expected figures in the US showed existing home sales dropped by 1.2% in June, the market was expecting a gain of 1.5%. The market sold the USD off on the back of the result, pushing the AUD higher.
Price action in gold overnight also helped to support the AUD, with gold futures posting their biggest gain in more than a year and settled above $1300 an ounce for the first time in a month.
There is no key data due for release today, so that leaves us watching for Wednesday's Q2 CPI data and the China manufacturing PMI as the next major influences for local FX markets.
Majors: The USD has fallen against the major currencies after disappointing data renewed talk of a slower scale back to the Fed's aggressive bond-buying program. In recent weeks, the USD has generally risen against major currencies on the expectation that the Federal Reserve would pull back on some of its most aggressive expansionary policies earlier than other leading central banks.
After a recent spate of unimpressive US housing data US monetary policy makers may be made to rethink the path of unwinding the bond-purchasing program.
Meanwhile the JPY surged in the wake of weekend elections that boosted Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's ruling Liberal Democrats. Among other currencies the GBP rose to $1.5360 from Friday's level of $1.5258. The USD dropped to CHF0.9360 from CHF0.9406.
23 JULY US House Price Index
US Richmond Fed Manufacting Index
EC Euro-Zone Consumer Confidence
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date