WA is Still Australia’s Top State; Election Crucial to Growth of State Economies
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 23, 2013 9:20 AM EST
The quarterly State of the States report issued regularly by CommSec once again named on Monday Western Australia as the strongest state in the Land Down Under.
However, while the strong showing of WA is no longer surprising, an upset occurred with the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) grabbing the second spot from the Northern Territory.
The bases of CommSec in ranking the Australian states are eight key indicators such as economic growth, construction work, unemployment rate and investment. CommSec chief economist Craig James said a new source of growth for the states and territories is the housing sector.
"We are going to see a passing of the baton - the mining sector is peaking in terms of new investment, but the housing sector is lifting," ABC quoted Mr James.
"And after a long period of relative inactivity, a lack of building across the nation, we are seeing an improvement and that does have significant multiplier effects right through the broader economy," he added.
Retaining their middle rankings are the states of New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, while in seventh and eighth places are South Australia and Tasmania.
Mr James added another major factor that would affect the states' performance and the broader economy is the big question mark over the date of the federal election, initially slated on Sept 14.
"The election is central to the current situation in the economy and the future outlook for the economy ... All economies should lift, once the uncertainty of the federal election is finally out of the way later in 2013," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family