WA is Still Australia’s Top State; Election Crucial to Growth of State Economies
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 23, 2013 9:20 AM EST
The quarterly State of the States report issued regularly by CommSec once again named on Monday Western Australia as the strongest state in the Land Down Under.
However, while the strong showing of WA is no longer surprising, an upset occurred with the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) grabbing the second spot from the Northern Territory.
The bases of CommSec in ranking the Australian states are eight key indicators such as economic growth, construction work, unemployment rate and investment. CommSec chief economist Craig James said a new source of growth for the states and territories is the housing sector.
"We are going to see a passing of the baton - the mining sector is peaking in terms of new investment, but the housing sector is lifting," ABC quoted Mr James.
"And after a long period of relative inactivity, a lack of building across the nation, we are seeing an improvement and that does have significant multiplier effects right through the broader economy," he added.
Retaining their middle rankings are the states of New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, while in seventh and eighth places are South Australia and Tasmania.
Mr James added another major factor that would affect the states' performance and the broader economy is the big question mark over the date of the federal election, initially slated on Sept 14.
"The election is central to the current situation in the economy and the future outlook for the economy ... All economies should lift, once the uncertainty of the federal election is finally out of the way later in 2013," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone