July 23, 2013 2:43 AM EST
#RoyalBaby Trending: Funny Twitterverse Fed with Shout-Outs and Memes – Again! [PHOTOS]
Kate Middleton is in labour, so naturally, reporters are throwing themselves in for frenzied “news gathering” strategies. The Duchess of Cambridge is the subject of a lot of talk on social media Tuesday, and Twitter becomes just another avenue for the hoping-to-be-funny ones. In effect, #RoyalBaby goes trending worldwide.
The latest updates to Kate Middleton’s “royal baby” are as follows:
- At least six hours have passed since breaking news reports announced Kate Middleton was in labour. Prince William must be thrilled, while Prince Harry is now fourth in line to the British throne.
- Prince William is reportedly by Kate's side in the private Lindo Wing of London's St Mary's Hospital, where Lady Di gave birth to him and Prince Charles (in 1982 and 1984, respectively).
- Queen Elizabeth II has been photographed on board a car going to Buckingham Palace an hour ahead of this posting. This is significant because the Queen will be the first to hear of the official news that the third in line to the throne has been born. Getting to Buckingham Palace from the Windsor Castle means the queen is ready to receive the official announcement of her grandchild’s arrival.
- Some people are being photographed wearing Prince Wililam masks outside St Mary's, but the prince is reportedly staying strong inside the delivery room with Kate.
- St Mary's Hospital is surrounded by reporters eager to deliver (pun intended) updates and news on the first royal baby delivery to ever be massively followed across social media sites.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, social media users are eagerly shouting out what they think could sound witty or funny in this royal baby occasion. Some are suggesting names for Kate’s and Prince William’s baby. Some are guessing the baby’s gender. Some are all about funny memes.
Twitterverse: Kate Middleton's #RoyalBaby Trending
“I don't think I'm better than anyone else. Unless you're really into the royal baby story, then I'm much better than you,” posted Twitter user @DannyZuker.
Even Grey’s Anatomy series creator Shonda Rhimes has joined in the trending topic of the day. She tweeted, “Somewhere in London, a princess is pooping on a delivery table. Just keeping it real, folks. #royalbaby #goodluckKate.”
“I have a feeling in my waters that the royal baby has a willy,” tweeted user @angelascanlon.
These are just some of the tweets posted six to seven hours after Kate Middleton has gone into labour. Check out the slideshow for the grand cyber tradition of translating massive news into bite-size memes.
UPDATE: The yet to be named royal baby, a healthy boy, was born at 4.24pm local time (1.24am AEST), July 22. Prince William was with Kate at the time of delivery. "We could not be happier,'' the 31-year-old Duke of Cambridge said in a statement.
Other Social Media, Trending Topics Features:
Comic-Con 2013 Cosplay: Who Will You Be at the SDCC Event? Here are Some Sexy Ideas! [PHOTOS]
Celebrity Meter: Henry Cavill vs Matt Bomer - Who's the Hotter Actor? [PHOTOS]
Plants vs Zombies 2 Release Date July 10 in Australia, New Zealand; Costly In-App Purchases? [SCREENSHOTS, VIDEO]