Wildfire In Idyllwild, Southern California, Contained 68 Percent, Rains Slow Down Massive Blaze
July 22, 2013 4:40 PM EST
A wildfire that began last Monday near Idyllwild, a mountain resort town in southern California about 100 miles east of Los Angeles, has now been contained up to 68 percent, according to a U.S. Forest Service report, cited by USA Today.
The blaze is expected to be fully contained on Wednesday, two days earlier than expected, the report said. Firefighters, helped by favorable weather conditions, including overnight rains, made progress on Sunday in controlling the blaze that has destroyed a number of homes when it spread to more than 40 square miles.
“With diminished fire activity, firefighters made great progress with line construction, particularly along the east side towards Palm Springs," U.S. Forest Service spokesman John Miller told Associated Press.
Since the outbreak of the fire, which is said to be human-caused, about 6,000 people have been evacuated from towns between Palm Springs and Hemet in the San Jacinto mountains. The fire resulted in the destruction of 23 structures, which included seven homes, AP reported.
Evacuation orders were lifted for Idyllwild and Fern Valley on Sunday morning, and businesses were expected to resume by Sunday evening, Reuters reported.
"Today the residents and business owners were able to go back home and tonight they'll open Idyllwild back up to all visitors so we can start business as usual and let people come up to that beautiful little community," Norma Bailey, a spokesperson for the U.S. Forest Service, said.
As of Sunday, about 3,500 firefighters, aided by 10 air tankers and 20 helicopters, were fighting to contain the fire that is still a threat to many homes in the area, Reuters said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports