Manny Pacquiao and his Battle for Boxing Relevancy
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 22, 2013 2:18 PM EST
Two straight setbacks: one via controversial split decision loss, the other via technical knockout. Nevertheless, 2012 has been nothing but a tragedy in the minds of every Filipino boxing enthusiast.
In the Philippines, Manny Pacquiao is bigger than just a sports personality. For them, he's a hero. A glaring reminder that there's still hope in a country that consists of the masses and run by the wicked ones. Pacquiao is a living testament that hard work paid off and deep faith to God will lead someone to a better place.
This had been the relevance of Pacquiao to his fellow Filipino people for a span of almost a decade. Every knockout win is reason for celebration and every loss is a sign for national mourning. But in the wake of a devastating knockout loss to his rival Juan Manuel Marquez, Pacquiao's aura of hope has all of a sudden vanished.
For all we know, Pacquiao's next fight against Brandon Rios will not just be a boxing match, but a big battle for survival. On September 23, 2013, in the velvet city of Macau, China, we will see if the legend of the Pac-man will have another exciting chapter or perhaps end in a painful exclamation point.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]