Watch Paul McCartney and Nirvana Members Play Beatles Songs in Seattle (Videos)
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 22, 2013 12:48 PM EST
This was not the first time that Paul McCartney shared the stage with three remaining members of Nirvana. Dave Grohl, Kris Novoselic and Pat Smear joined McCartney at his concert in Seattle last July 19.
The ex-Beatle member had his debut gig in Safeco Field in Seattle. The city, best known for its grunge scene, was where Nirvana established itself in the late 1980s. McCartney welcomed the three during the encore and first played Nirvana's "Cut Me Some Slack," the song which bonded them last December at the Hurricane Sandy benefit concert in New York and Grohl's Sound City documentary.
McCartney and the group played a selection of classic Beatles songs including "Get Back," "Helter Skelter," "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight," "Long Tall Sally" and "The End." The gig marked the first time that they played Beatles songs together.
Their performance at the benefit gig last year fired rumours that Nirvana wil be reunited with McCartney as its new singer. However, Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, was not happy about it, slammed McCartney and said, "maybe if John (Lennon) were still alive it would be cool."
McCartney's Seattle performance was part of the legend's "Out There" world tour and his return to concert touring since 2003's "Back In The World" tour. After Seattle, he was expected to play in Canada and Japan until November.
For his gig at Quebec City in Canada, the 71-year-old musician will be giving away free tickets to survivors of the train explosion in Lac-Megantic. The tragedy happened last Saturday, July 16, when a tanker train carrying crude oil derailed killing 28 people.
“We want to give a moment of respite, a few hours of pleasure which will perhaps take their minds off the tragedy into which they have been plunged in the last two weeks,” Daniel Gelinas, McCartney's promoter, said in a statement.
Watch Paul McCartney and Nirvana's performance of The Beatles' "Get Back" below:
Video credit: 4128 Darren
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate