Watch Paul McCartney and Nirvana Members Play Beatles Songs in Seattle (Videos)
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 22, 2013 12:48 PM EST
This was not the first time that Paul McCartney shared the stage with three remaining members of Nirvana. Dave Grohl, Kris Novoselic and Pat Smear joined McCartney at his concert in Seattle last July 19.
The ex-Beatle member had his debut gig in Safeco Field in Seattle. The city, best known for its grunge scene, was where Nirvana established itself in the late 1980s. McCartney welcomed the three during the encore and first played Nirvana's "Cut Me Some Slack," the song which bonded them last December at the Hurricane Sandy benefit concert in New York and Grohl's Sound City documentary.
McCartney and the group played a selection of classic Beatles songs including "Get Back," "Helter Skelter," "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight," "Long Tall Sally" and "The End." The gig marked the first time that they played Beatles songs together.
Their performance at the benefit gig last year fired rumours that Nirvana wil be reunited with McCartney as its new singer. However, Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, was not happy about it, slammed McCartney and said, "maybe if John (Lennon) were still alive it would be cool."
McCartney's Seattle performance was part of the legend's "Out There" world tour and his return to concert touring since 2003's "Back In The World" tour. After Seattle, he was expected to play in Canada and Japan until November.
For his gig at Quebec City in Canada, the 71-year-old musician will be giving away free tickets to survivors of the train explosion in Lac-Megantic. The tragedy happened last Saturday, July 16, when a tanker train carrying crude oil derailed killing 28 people.
“We want to give a moment of respite, a few hours of pleasure which will perhaps take their minds off the tragedy into which they have been plunged in the last two weeks,” Daniel Gelinas, McCartney's promoter, said in a statement.
Watch Paul McCartney and Nirvana's performance of The Beatles' "Get Back" below:
Video credit: 4128 Darren
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up