Watch Paul McCartney and Nirvana Members Play Beatles Songs in Seattle (Videos)
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 22, 2013 12:48 PM EST
This was not the first time that Paul McCartney shared the stage with three remaining members of Nirvana. Dave Grohl, Kris Novoselic and Pat Smear joined McCartney at his concert in Seattle last July 19.
The ex-Beatle member had his debut gig in Safeco Field in Seattle. The city, best known for its grunge scene, was where Nirvana established itself in the late 1980s. McCartney welcomed the three during the encore and first played Nirvana's "Cut Me Some Slack," the song which bonded them last December at the Hurricane Sandy benefit concert in New York and Grohl's Sound City documentary.
McCartney and the group played a selection of classic Beatles songs including "Get Back," "Helter Skelter," "Golden Slumbers," "Carry That Weight," "Long Tall Sally" and "The End." The gig marked the first time that they played Beatles songs together.
Their performance at the benefit gig last year fired rumours that Nirvana wil be reunited with McCartney as its new singer. However, Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, was not happy about it, slammed McCartney and said, "maybe if John (Lennon) were still alive it would be cool."
McCartney's Seattle performance was part of the legend's "Out There" world tour and his return to concert touring since 2003's "Back In The World" tour. After Seattle, he was expected to play in Canada and Japan until November.
For his gig at Quebec City in Canada, the 71-year-old musician will be giving away free tickets to survivors of the train explosion in Lac-Megantic. The tragedy happened last Saturday, July 16, when a tanker train carrying crude oil derailed killing 28 people.
“We want to give a moment of respite, a few hours of pleasure which will perhaps take their minds off the tragedy into which they have been plunged in the last two weeks,” Daniel Gelinas, McCartney's promoter, said in a statement.
Watch Paul McCartney and Nirvana's performance of The Beatles' "Get Back" below:
Video credit: 4128 Darren
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales