Saving Microsoft: Bill Gates Might Return from Retirement as Microsoft Continues To Struggle
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 22, 2013 12:20 PM EST
After recording the biggest 1-day percentage sell-off in the last 13 years, Microsoft might be headed into really tough times. As investors continued to show concerns about the standings of one of the most influential tech companies in the world, Microsoft might have no other option but to bring the man that guided the firm to greater heights. Yes, Bill Gates might actually return to his old post.
The company recorded Friday its worst performance on the trading market since 2000 after its stock finished at $31.40 ($4.04 down), losing $32 billion in the company's stock value.
According to financial analysts, the low demand for Microsoft's new operating system and cutting-edge tablet, the Surface, prompted investors to worry about the direction of the company.
To cushion the impact, Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer made changes in the company's structure, particularly in the operating system department. However, Nomura Securities' Rick Sherlund believed these moves aren't the solutions to the problem.
"The recent reorganization does not fix the tablet or smartphone problem," Sherlund told CNET.com. "The devices opportunity just received a $900 million hardware write-off for Surface RT and investors may not even like the idea of wading deeper into this territory."
With this development, there's speculation about the return of Gates to power as he attempts to put order in the company he founded in the early 70s. Gates stepped down as CEO of the company in 2000, but his last full-time role took place on June 27, 2008. Since then, Gates was a non-executive chairman of the company, although he's still rocking a total net value of $72.7 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet