Saving Microsoft: Bill Gates Might Return from Retirement as Microsoft Continues To Struggle
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 22, 2013 12:20 PM EST
After recording the biggest 1-day percentage sell-off in the last 13 years, Microsoft might be headed into really tough times. As investors continued to show concerns about the standings of one of the most influential tech companies in the world, Microsoft might have no other option but to bring the man that guided the firm to greater heights. Yes, Bill Gates might actually return to his old post.
The company recorded Friday its worst performance on the trading market since 2000 after its stock finished at $31.40 ($4.04 down), losing $32 billion in the company's stock value.
According to financial analysts, the low demand for Microsoft's new operating system and cutting-edge tablet, the Surface, prompted investors to worry about the direction of the company.
To cushion the impact, Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer made changes in the company's structure, particularly in the operating system department. However, Nomura Securities' Rick Sherlund believed these moves aren't the solutions to the problem.
"The recent reorganization does not fix the tablet or smartphone problem," Sherlund told CNET.com. "The devices opportunity just received a $900 million hardware write-off for Surface RT and investors may not even like the idea of wading deeper into this territory."
With this development, there's speculation about the return of Gates to power as he attempts to put order in the company he founded in the early 70s. Gates stepped down as CEO of the company in 2000, but his last full-time role took place on June 27, 2008. Since then, Gates was a non-executive chairman of the company, although he's still rocking a total net value of $72.7 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage