Opera Singer Erin Holland Nabs Miss World Australia Title
By Anne Lu | July 22, 2013 11:06 AM EST
Opera singer Erin Holland is the new Miss World Australia. The Sydney soprano, who describes herself as an ugly duckling, will be representing the country in the Miss World pageant in Indonesia in September.
“I used to be an ugly duckling so I don’t know what happened!” the 24-year-old blonde beauty told The Daily Telegraph. “I was the band geek at school who boys weren’t interested in.”
On Saturday, the stunned Ms Holland beat 32 other women vying for the coveted crown at the pageant show finals. She wowed the crowd early on and impressed the judges, which included “The Voice” finalist Tim Morrison and “Celebrity Apprentice” star Layla Subritzky, at the contest proper in Melbourne.
It was her impressive rendition of “Maybe This Time” from “Caberet” the musical during the talent section that had boosted her into the final top 10.
As a student of Bachelor of Classical Voice from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Ms Holland’s dream is to be the Australian equivalent of Welsh opera star Katherine Jenkins. She started modelling 18 months ago, but she still has her priorities in order.
“I never identified with being a model or a beauty queen. Appearance wasn’t a great priority growing up. Sitting up in from of a mirror wasn’t how I lived my life,” she said.
“Beauty doesn’t last forever. A pretty face is a pretty face for a certain amount of time, then what are you left with? I think it’s important to be well-rounded.”
Ms Holland will be competing with other nations’ representatives at the Miss World pageant in Indonesia on September 28.
In June, it was announced that the predominantly Islamic Southeast Asian country is nixing the bikini segment of the show after protests from Muslim groups. Instead of bikinis, the contestants would be wearing sarongs.
Miss World 2013 Bans Bikini in Indonesia [Read]
And that’s not a problem for the Australia’s representative. In fact, Ms Holland said she prefers
“You know, we got to respect the country in which we are having the competition this year. And if it means wearing a sarong around the bottom of a bikini then I’m complete fine with that,” she told the “Today” show.
“Probably preferred in my case, I think. We got a bit more covered up so I’m absolutely fine with it.”
Natalie Roser from Newcastle was named runner-up.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal