Treasure Trove worth £20m Discovered in British Ship Sunk By Nazis [VIDEO]
By Fiona Keating | July 21, 2013 9:15 PM EST
Explorers have uncovered a silver treasure haul worth £20m in a British merchant ship sunk by a Nazi U-boat in 1941.
The lost treasure, which was found in two separate dives in 2012 and 2013, consists of 2,972 ingots of .999 silver, the purest and most valuable form of the metal.
The haul includes 462 bars of pure silver, which are engraved with the mark of 'His Majesty's Mint Bombay'
It's hailed as "the largest known precious metal cargo ever recovered from the sea", by the Odyssey Marine Exploration company which located the haul.
The 2,972 silver bars were hauled from the SS Gairsoppa and are now in Bristol.
The ship was sunk around 300 miles southwest of the Irish coast, in British waters.
When the silver goes on sale, the British Treasury will receive a 20% cut.
Odyssey Marine Exploration, a US marine archaeology company that discovered the shipwreck and paid for all the recovery costs, will take the remaining 80% of the net proceeds.
The Gairsoppa was carrying 7m ounces of silver when the ship broke away from a protective convoy and made for Galway Harbour.
Unprotected and alone in the Atlantic, the Gairsoppa was spotted by a German plane, and then torpedoed by a U-boat.
The British merchant ship took just 20 minutes to sink, with most of the mainly Indian crew of 85 losing their lives.
A handful of men managed to make their way to Cornwall in a lifeboat, but only Richard Ayres, the second officer, survived the journey.
Odyssey's principal marine archaeologist Neil Cunningham Dobson says: "Even though records indicate that the lifeboats were launched before the ship sank, sadly most of her crew did not survive the long journey to shore. By finding this shipwreck, and telling the story of its loss, we pay tribute to the brave merchant sailors who lost their lives."
The ship lay undiscovered on the ocean bed, at a depth of four miles, for 70 years. It was identified by Odyssey Marine Exploration in 2011.
Using remote controlled equipment, the hull of the Gairsoppa was carved open to reveal 1,200 bars. The ingots each weigh 80lb, are the shape of a loaf, and engraved with the words "His Majesty's Mint Bombay".
The Odyssey Marine Exploration company is also hoping to explore the wreck of the HMS Victory this year. The ship was the forerunner to Lord Nelson's flagship at the battle of Trafalgar.
The HMS Victory sank in a storm off Guernsey in 1744. It lies at a depth of 320 ft, and carries around 100 cannons.
"After Mary Rose [Henry VIII's flagship], it is the most important of the historic shipwrecks," Sean Kingsley, a marine archaeologist told the Times.
"What's really significant is that this is an extremely rare example of an early Georgian Warship."
Watch underwater views of the shipwreck of SS Gairsoppa
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build