Treasure Trove worth £20m Discovered in British Ship Sunk By Nazis [VIDEO]
By Fiona Keating | July 21, 2013 9:15 PM EST
Explorers have uncovered a silver treasure haul worth £20m in a British merchant ship sunk by a Nazi U-boat in 1941.
The lost treasure, which was found in two separate dives in 2012 and 2013, consists of 2,972 ingots of .999 silver, the purest and most valuable form of the metal.
The haul includes 462 bars of pure silver, which are engraved with the mark of 'His Majesty's Mint Bombay'
It's hailed as "the largest known precious metal cargo ever recovered from the sea", by the Odyssey Marine Exploration company which located the haul.
The 2,972 silver bars were hauled from the SS Gairsoppa and are now in Bristol.
The ship was sunk around 300 miles southwest of the Irish coast, in British waters.
When the silver goes on sale, the British Treasury will receive a 20% cut.
Odyssey Marine Exploration, a US marine archaeology company that discovered the shipwreck and paid for all the recovery costs, will take the remaining 80% of the net proceeds.
The Gairsoppa was carrying 7m ounces of silver when the ship broke away from a protective convoy and made for Galway Harbour.
Unprotected and alone in the Atlantic, the Gairsoppa was spotted by a German plane, and then torpedoed by a U-boat.
The British merchant ship took just 20 minutes to sink, with most of the mainly Indian crew of 85 losing their lives.
A handful of men managed to make their way to Cornwall in a lifeboat, but only Richard Ayres, the second officer, survived the journey.
Odyssey's principal marine archaeologist Neil Cunningham Dobson says: "Even though records indicate that the lifeboats were launched before the ship sank, sadly most of her crew did not survive the long journey to shore. By finding this shipwreck, and telling the story of its loss, we pay tribute to the brave merchant sailors who lost their lives."
The ship lay undiscovered on the ocean bed, at a depth of four miles, for 70 years. It was identified by Odyssey Marine Exploration in 2011.
Using remote controlled equipment, the hull of the Gairsoppa was carved open to reveal 1,200 bars. The ingots each weigh 80lb, are the shape of a loaf, and engraved with the words "His Majesty's Mint Bombay".
The Odyssey Marine Exploration company is also hoping to explore the wreck of the HMS Victory this year. The ship was the forerunner to Lord Nelson's flagship at the battle of Trafalgar.
The HMS Victory sank in a storm off Guernsey in 1744. It lies at a depth of 320 ft, and carries around 100 cannons.
"After Mary Rose [Henry VIII's flagship], it is the most important of the historic shipwrecks," Sean Kingsley, a marine archaeologist told the Times.
"What's really significant is that this is an extremely rare example of an early Georgian Warship."
Watch underwater views of the shipwreck of SS Gairsoppa
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports