Nets Owner Willing To Spend Millions of Dollars For Team To Win Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 21, 2013 1:28 AM EST
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he's willing to pay millions of dollars in players' salaries to make sure his team has great shot at winning a championship. After acquiring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry via trade with the Boston Celtics, the Russian business mogul is setting himself to pay $80 million in luxury tax.
In Thursday's press conference in Brooklyn to introduce the new members of the Nets, the 48-year-old Prokhorov said he's ready to spend millions just to put the pieces for a championship caliber team.
"When I bought the team, I promised to create a championship contender, a team worthy of Brooklyn," Prokhorov told reporters. "I'll be proud when we win the championship. I am not a man of procedure. I am a man of results."
Prokhorov, despite a first round exit in last playoffs, said winning championship for the people of Brooklyn remains his top priority and he wants his ball club to do it by 2015.
"In the NBA, money, it's important, but you can't buy a championship only spending money. What's most important is to put pieces together [for] a championship contender," The Nets Owners said. "Frankly speaking, I'll do whatever I can to reach the championship here in Brooklyn. It was the goal when I bought the NBA team. From inside, for me there is only one place and that's first place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast