Nets Owner Willing To Spend Millions of Dollars For Team To Win Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 21, 2013 1:28 AM EST
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he's willing to pay millions of dollars in players' salaries to make sure his team has great shot at winning a championship. After acquiring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry via trade with the Boston Celtics, the Russian business mogul is setting himself to pay $80 million in luxury tax.
In Thursday's press conference in Brooklyn to introduce the new members of the Nets, the 48-year-old Prokhorov said he's ready to spend millions just to put the pieces for a championship caliber team.
"When I bought the team, I promised to create a championship contender, a team worthy of Brooklyn," Prokhorov told reporters. "I'll be proud when we win the championship. I am not a man of procedure. I am a man of results."
Prokhorov, despite a first round exit in last playoffs, said winning championship for the people of Brooklyn remains his top priority and he wants his ball club to do it by 2015.
"In the NBA, money, it's important, but you can't buy a championship only spending money. What's most important is to put pieces together [for] a championship contender," The Nets Owners said. "Frankly speaking, I'll do whatever I can to reach the championship here in Brooklyn. It was the goal when I bought the NBA team. From inside, for me there is only one place and that's first place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy