Nets Owner Willing To Spend Millions of Dollars For Team To Win Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 21, 2013 1:28 AM EST
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he's willing to pay millions of dollars in players' salaries to make sure his team has great shot at winning a championship. After acquiring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry via trade with the Boston Celtics, the Russian business mogul is setting himself to pay $80 million in luxury tax.
In Thursday's press conference in Brooklyn to introduce the new members of the Nets, the 48-year-old Prokhorov said he's ready to spend millions just to put the pieces for a championship caliber team.
"When I bought the team, I promised to create a championship contender, a team worthy of Brooklyn," Prokhorov told reporters. "I'll be proud when we win the championship. I am not a man of procedure. I am a man of results."
Prokhorov, despite a first round exit in last playoffs, said winning championship for the people of Brooklyn remains his top priority and he wants his ball club to do it by 2015.
"In the NBA, money, it's important, but you can't buy a championship only spending money. What's most important is to put pieces together [for] a championship contender," The Nets Owners said. "Frankly speaking, I'll do whatever I can to reach the championship here in Brooklyn. It was the goal when I bought the NBA team. From inside, for me there is only one place and that's first place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia