Nets Owner Willing To Spend Millions of Dollars For Team To Win Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 21, 2013 1:28 AM EST
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he's willing to pay millions of dollars in players' salaries to make sure his team has great shot at winning a championship. After acquiring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry via trade with the Boston Celtics, the Russian business mogul is setting himself to pay $80 million in luxury tax.
In Thursday's press conference in Brooklyn to introduce the new members of the Nets, the 48-year-old Prokhorov said he's ready to spend millions just to put the pieces for a championship caliber team.
"When I bought the team, I promised to create a championship contender, a team worthy of Brooklyn," Prokhorov told reporters. "I'll be proud when we win the championship. I am not a man of procedure. I am a man of results."
Prokhorov, despite a first round exit in last playoffs, said winning championship for the people of Brooklyn remains his top priority and he wants his ball club to do it by 2015.
"In the NBA, money, it's important, but you can't buy a championship only spending money. What's most important is to put pieces together [for] a championship contender," The Nets Owners said. "Frankly speaking, I'll do whatever I can to reach the championship here in Brooklyn. It was the goal when I bought the NBA team. From inside, for me there is only one place and that's first place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate