Nets Owner Willing To Spend Millions of Dollars For Team To Win Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 21, 2013 1:28 AM EST
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he's willing to pay millions of dollars in players' salaries to make sure his team has great shot at winning a championship. After acquiring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry via trade with the Boston Celtics, the Russian business mogul is setting himself to pay $80 million in luxury tax.
In Thursday's press conference in Brooklyn to introduce the new members of the Nets, the 48-year-old Prokhorov said he's ready to spend millions just to put the pieces for a championship caliber team.
"When I bought the team, I promised to create a championship contender, a team worthy of Brooklyn," Prokhorov told reporters. "I'll be proud when we win the championship. I am not a man of procedure. I am a man of results."
Prokhorov, despite a first round exit in last playoffs, said winning championship for the people of Brooklyn remains his top priority and he wants his ball club to do it by 2015.
"In the NBA, money, it's important, but you can't buy a championship only spending money. What's most important is to put pieces together [for] a championship contender," The Nets Owners said. "Frankly speaking, I'll do whatever I can to reach the championship here in Brooklyn. It was the goal when I bought the NBA team. From inside, for me there is only one place and that's first place."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports