The Johnny Cash Story Happening At Melbourne's Athenaeum Theatre Until July 21
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 19, 2013 5:36 PM EST
Singing legend Johnny Cash's memory lives as The Cruel Sea frontman Tex Perkins transforms himself as the revered singer in The Man In Black: The Johnny Cash Story, a two hour music performance happening at The Athenaeum Theatre in Melbourne until July 21st.
Produced by Simon Myers, The Man In Black explores Cash's early life and his rise to fame told in a blend of songs and spoken word performances that will bring the audience to remember how Johnny Cash became a music icon.
Perkins, together with Rachael Tidd and The Tennessee Four band will be playing most of Cash's best known songs including I Walk The Line, Folsom Prison Blues, A Boy Named Sue, Jacskon and more.
Both Perkins and Tidd have a deep voice that is perfect to sing Cash's greatest hits, especially Perkins who does his best to fit into Cash's character donning a black outfit, which he successfully brings on stage.
Meanwhile, Sony Music Entertainment's Legacy Records will be releasing a photo book and music collection to celebrate the coming 10th death anniversary of Cash.
Life Unseen: Johnny Cash - An Illustrated Biography, a 192-page book, features rare and never-before-seen photos of the singer gathered from Sony's archives. It includes images of Cash's quiet moments and interviews with his family including June Carter Cash and his children Rosanne Cash and John Carter Cash.
His music collection, Life Unheard: Johnny Cash, will include rare tracks featuring solo acoustic recordings at the House of Cash Studio, live concerts taped at the Newport Folk Festival and more.
Fans can grab copies of the photo book and music collection starting August 13th.
For now, catch the last four performances of The Man In Black: The Johnny Cash Story on the following show schedules:
July 19, Friday - 8 p.m.
July 20, Saturday - 2 p.m. & 8 p.m.
July 21, Sunday - 3 p.m.
For ticket information visit www.Ticketek.com.au. The Athenaeum Theatre is located at 188 Collins St. Melbourne.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand