Despite H7N9 Bird Flu Infection, Pregnant Chinese Woman Patient Gives Birth to Healthy Baby Girl
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 19, 2013 3:40 PM EST
A pregnant Chinese woman patient infected with the H7N9 bird flu virus has given birth to a healthy baby girl on Wednesday, despite being diagnosed with the deadly bug two months earlier.
The mother, identified as Qiu Yan, aged 25, was five months pregnant when she learned on April 8 she got infected with the fatal virus. She sought treatment on April 21 and was immediately admitted to the intensive care unit in Zhenjiang No. 1 People's Hospital.
Then in a "very serious condition," she recovered sometime in May after spending five weeks in the hospital. Hospital personnel gave her antibiotic, antiviral and hormone treatments, along with daily X-rays, to ensure her health and recovery as well as the unborn child's safety inside her womb.
On Wednesday, Qiu underwent a cesarean delivery to give birth to the child. A healthy girl, the baby weighed in 3.3 kg. The Caesarean delivery happened in a hospital in Zhenjiang City in Jiangsu Province, according to state-run Xinhua news agency.
Originally intended for operation on July 26, doctors from the hospital's paediatric department said they noticed the fetal heart beat was accelerating and so decided to perform the operation on an earlier date.
However, doctors at the hospital said the mother's cardiopulmonary function still needs to fully recover.
"Her lung was severely infected and she needed a respirator to breathe because she was suffering from respiratory failure," the AFP quoted Qiu's doctor Sun Lizhou as saying.
Still, for Qiu and her baby daughter to have lasted this far "was a miracle," Sun said, noting they are the world's first pregnant woman and baby who have survived the ordeal.
According to the July 10 updates released by the National Health and Family Planning Commission, there have been a total of 132 H7N9 avian flu cases reported since the virus was first discovered in March. Forty-three people have died so far.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS