Stand Your Ground: 26 US States Have “Shoot First” Laws
July 18, 2013 11:21 PM EST
Though George Zimmerman did not end up invoking Florida's "stand your ground" law in his defense, it was clearly the reason police did not arrest the neighborhood watchman for almost two months after he shot black teen Trayvon Martin dead, and the law has come under intense scrutiny since Zimmerman's acquittal last weekend.
“Stand Your Ground” laws, also known as “Shoot First” laws, shield individuals who use deadly force to injure or kill, provided that the shooter can convince a judge that he or she had a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm. The individual has no duty to retreat from a confrontation before engaging in the act of deadly force.
There are currently 26 U.S. states that have “Shoot First” laws similar to that of Florida’s, according to the Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence. Check out this infographic for more insights:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build