Stand Your Ground: 26 US States Have “Shoot First” Laws
July 18, 2013 11:21 PM EST
Though George Zimmerman did not end up invoking Florida's "stand your ground" law in his defense, it was clearly the reason police did not arrest the neighborhood watchman for almost two months after he shot black teen Trayvon Martin dead, and the law has come under intense scrutiny since Zimmerman's acquittal last weekend.
“Stand Your Ground” laws, also known as “Shoot First” laws, shield individuals who use deadly force to injure or kill, provided that the shooter can convince a judge that he or she had a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm. The individual has no duty to retreat from a confrontation before engaging in the act of deadly force.
There are currently 26 U.S. states that have “Shoot First” laws similar to that of Florida’s, according to the Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence. Check out this infographic for more insights:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown